What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

new terrarium will this lizard tank work

i want to make a classic terrarium with some fairly easy starter plantsw any recomendations for those and with a litle more reinforcment wouold this ntank work?
DSC00909.jpg

UMMM, Im a NOOB!, but i can give u a hand, it look like a 45 gal acuarium, is 90large, 40wide and 50hight?, get a 2 30wats 5,000°K 5,500°K tubes, u can get a cold withe and a warm white too!, lighti blue light will make plants grow. so u can add 2X 6,500°K flourecents bulbs, and 2X 2,700°K or 4.100°K flouerencent bulbs, to add color to te terrarium, put 6,500°K on front so it will lokk clear to to human eye!, cover the half of the terrarium, and get some distiled water, low salt and ph, get easy plants, dont buy sarracenias they dont love terrarium =(, well mine dont get well in it. But D.adelae is KELW!, Clean the terrarium w this water and put down a 2cm (1") of silica sand and up a mix of sand 30% and peat 70%, mix it as u wish or use perlite, the light and substrate mixing is as each one like and see, just dont over water them, w cephalotus dont water the leaves, GOOD LUCK!
smile_n_32.gif

no its 15 gal sorry just remembered

My first tank (also a classic landscaped terrarium) was made from a reptile tank, too!

The biggest problems you will face when using a reptile tank instead of a real aquarium are:

1) Putting the reptile somewhere!
2) Usually these tanks have a hole in the bottom so you can run electrical stuff inside.

Use a rubber stopper and bathtub sealer on both sides to make sure water doesn't leak out.

After that, put down a layer of sand, then gravel a couple of inches thick. This will act as a sort of water reservoir and allow you to view the water table. Then add your soil of choice until the tank is about 50% full. Mine had a depression in the center where more gravel was placed, this time exposed. I watered the tank through this hole. Plants can be planted in the 'hills' on either side of your reservoir. I like to get moss started covering the exposed surfaces. Hope that helps!

-D. Lybrand

PS- Visit Botanique. The site has a great tutorial for landscaped terraria.

So how the terraium go?, i tink to a 15 gal just put light!, not to much cold bulbs rules all!!!
smile_n_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (ImWindPlant @ Mar. 05 2006,1:11)]So how the terraium go?, i tink to a 15 gal just put light!, not to much cold bulbs rules all!!!
smile_n_32.gif
i havent goten around to it yet i think i got asked whether or not it will be a classic one or not and yes it will. i found a 20 Gal aquarium at petco for 40 bux so i think ill buy it but as for plants i think im gona either start off with seeds or try and talk my parents in to taking a trip up to ?austin? cuz if im not mistaken thats where pet flytrapis located so i candirectly get the plants so htey wont be jet laged but first i wana get my setuop all done and that may take a few weeks as im trying to conserve money only 300 more and i get a truck!!! anyway thx

Yo, The easiest plants to grow in a terraium setup are sundews. I would start with those, maybe somewhere down the line you could stick a Nep. in there. Just be warned that Nep's get big. Also you might want to avoid Sarra's and VFT's because they need a dormancy.

What kind of truck are you getting? If I had to get a truck it would definitely be the Nissan Titan. Those are bad ***. Whatever it is it better be 4WD.

it wont be new whatever it is it has to be 6,000 and under and it will def have a V-8 hopfully 4WD and definitly dual exhaust and an air intake but thx for the info

D.capensis, adelae and capillaris are easy drosera (sundews).
U.livida and dichotoma are easy utrics (bladderworts).

I'd stay away from pinguicula (butterworts) for your first attempt with a classic terrarium. I'd also stay away from VFTs and Sarrs as they need dormancy. Unless you keep them in pots above the waterline, I'd avoid nepenthes (pitcher plants) as their roots don't like being constantly wet.

Have you considered building a terrarium where the plants are kept separately in pots (or growing the plants on a plain old shelf)? These are much easier to maintain and allow you to grow a wider variety of plants. Just a thought.....

As for lighting, for a 15gal, the easiest thing is to buy two clamp lights and two 20-30W compact fluorescents at HD or Lowes. This should cost ~$25. You also want to buy a digital temp/humidity reader at HD ($20), and leave a small crack open in the lid for air circulation and reduction of temps (or buy a CPU fan and splice it to an extension cord).

ive thought of having a poted terarium but to me they are just well not as good looking aqs classic. but i think im buying an aquarium thats 20 gal down at petco now not much bigger a little wider so your lighting method should still work

If you're going to use a 20gal (about 28" L, if I recall correctly), you should use 2 2' long fluorescent tube fixtures. Each of these fixtures cost ~$20 and will each hold 2 20W fluorescent tubes for a total of 80W lighting.

IMHO, tubes are better than compacts for terraria because they produce much less heat. Heat buildup can be an issue with terraria.

Back