What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hardy CP for a bog garden in VA and GA

JB_OrchidGuy

Cardiac Nurse
I live in GA and would like to add some hardy dews and other CP to my bog when I install it this summer besides Sarrs and VFT. Also my mother sounds interested in doing a bog too and she lives in VA. We are going to be using the preform pond method described by Scott. I mentions Darlingtonia (sp) to my mother since she is cooler than I, but I think GA full sun will fry one for me. Also should the bog be in full sun because that is where I plan to put mine. It will be shaded in the AM till about 10 or so and then it will be in full sun till about 5 or so when the sun hits the trees. The times might be a little off. I did it from memory. I know the Sarrs and VFT will do fine in those conditions. Atleast they did last year for me in pots. Thanks everyone!

Any of the N.A. Drosera will work for you. You can also get away with D. binata complex plants as they are all hardy enough here in GA. They die back during winter but come back from the roots come spring. You could probably get away with capensis in the same manner too if you were feeling wacky.

You might also try some of the N.A. Pings. They should do well enough. And Darlingtonia might work for you too, I grew one in a pot on my patio back when I lived in an apartment so the heat here really is not all that bad for them. And buffered in the bog they might do even better.

COOL!!! So I can have a diverse garden. WOO HOO. I assume if they will do fine here they should do fine in VA too. Their summer temps are roughly about 10 degrees cooler and they get snow, but if mulched with pinestraw I think they should do fine. Where can I find a list of the N.A. pings and dews? That would be handy info to have anyways. Now the fun begins! Thanks Pyro!!

No worries Josh. Not sure wher to get a list of N.A. Pings and Drosera. Might try Barry's CPFAQ site, I'd recon he'd have some there. Or just flip through SG or Schnell if you have that.

Most everything should do fine in VA except maybe the binata or capensis since it is more likely to get colder and stay colder. But I could be wrong and trying never killed anyone (just the plants LOL)

what about a bog garden in Kentucky(zone 6)? anyone have ideas? in the winter it can get cold so i was thinking of mulching it during that time. what about temperate pings like P. grandiflora?(not warm temperate)
alex

Somewhere there is a post by WildBill (I think) about bog gardens in northern climes. Might try tracking that down. But all things being equal you are really not that far zone wise from GA (Atl is Zn 7) so pretty much anything that will do well here should do well there with little extra effort.

Again, I would think almost all the N. A. Drosera would work (minus the obvious exceptions of linaris and rotundifolia which need pretty hard cold winters) and most of the N. A. temperate Pings. The warm temperate might work too as long as they have enough time to seed or if they are well protected. I would avoid any European temperate species since they are more alkaline loving.

Back