What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bog Questions

Ok So i have questions and will be posting questions as they come to my mind, Could direct sunlight for all day hurt any sarr's or vft's? by all day i mean about 12-14 hours of direct sunlight. Would this be more than enough, and i have another question, would 6-8 hours (maybe) of Afternoon sunlight to sunset be to little?

How much water do you see an smaller bog use in water on average?? A Rough estament of 4' x 5' and about a 1.5' deep?

Cheers

6-8 hours is plenty of sun for the Sarracenia and 12-14 shouldn't be too much I dont think, they recieve around 10-11 hours in my greenhouse during summer at temps around 110 degrees and seem fine, jsut make sure they get good air circulation, I would say just make sure the water is moist, too much water doesnt really affect the plant as they can grow in shallow ponds, although that may cause mold just make sure its never bone dry for more than an hour
thats my $.02
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Kirkscoastalcarnivores @ Mar. 18 2006,6:03)]I would say just make sure the water is moist
smile_m_32.gif
I know what you mean though!
I would hope the water was moist, and im looking for a general amount of water i should use cause this will sway if i get a bog or not.

Cheers

I honsetly have no idea, I had a bog in Florida and once I moved to Colorado I took it up a step to the greenhouse, Floridas rain was usually enough to keep the plants happy for me, It says you live in Ohio, you would definately want to mulch heavily or find some other for of insulation

I was planing on making a special kind of tarp, buying lots of hay and wood chips, taking two tarps of the same size and Putting them to gether by sewing, for a kind of blanket. It will be an inground Bog if I do it, And Im kind of confused on how to mulch it. How about one of those low groud GH its really low for early spring starting stuff... ive seen them places. Ill find a photo but it literaly is a small greenhouse no more thant 2 feet off the ground. and about the dementions i mentioned... i could simply remove it during the winter, But would it keep my plants warm enough during those -0 cold spells?

Cheers

You are describing a cold frame, I believe. No. It would still freeze without cover. BTW, where my plants grow, they get 14 hours a day in sunlight. VFT's, sarrs, butterwort, and drosera's all in this one bog garden go crazy for the light. Pics are to be seen in the pitcher plant thread, two pinned topics on Bugweed's at Bugweeds house is the first. Another bog garden view is in the second topic, Bugweed's in September. Look at this set up, and drop me a PM. We can talk about it.

Back