Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Shoot I broke a flourescent bulb

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I have a baby rolling around on the floor, and I have vacuumed several times without changing the bag, so the mercury I guess has been redistibuted every time. I'll make sure I tell the doctor that when I take him in for his check up.

BANNED
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah throw out the vacuum bag. Honestly though its not that harmful, short term wise. I wouldn't worry about it too much but a check by the doc is not a bad idea since there was more than one incident.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought I'd post in this thread since I've been having to break a bunch of old, burnt out flourescent tubes today. Man, they sure shatter!

Now I'm a bit afraid though after reading about the mercury. I was outside when I broke the bulbs, but could I have been harmed by the vapors?

It's been one of dem days BigCarnivourKid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    *twitch twitch* Very doubtful. I've +mary had a little lump+ broken *twitch* lots of them *twitch twitch* over the +mars is poodles+ the years *grimace* and I'm +pink polka dot in my+ perfectly fine *twitch twitch*
    ---Steve Allinger---

How come chicken fingers are bigger than buffalo wings?

My Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check with local landfill/transfer stations (waste management etc.) usually allows you to recycle fluorescent bulbs.
    If you had tubes break in your house I agree that vacuuming isn't a good idea but washing with soap and water can remove it from your house (don't let babies crawl around in that stuff as everything goes into their mouths).
    Definitely mention it to your doctor next visit cause they can do a quick blood test to see how much mercury is in the child's blood. Chelation therapy can remove the mercury if needed.
    The amount of mercury though is miniscule amounts but you still don't want to inhale or ingest it.
    Also those Alto bulbs use less mercury that regular ones.

Kirk
    Fitchburg Mass

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nothing like dropping a entire new box of bulbs in your basement...... Also, cprus, I would have done the same as you did. Also be careful of non-stick cookware. If it gets to hot the fumes will kill your birds, the same goes with cafeine. What kind of birds do you have? African Grey over here

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't worry about it too much. The amount of mercury in a bulb is miniscule. It's just not something you'd want to make a habit of.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]Don't worry about it too much. The amount of mercury in a bulb is miniscule. It's just not something you'd want to make a habit of.
    Considering what I've seen people do with these bulbs before, I'd think that simply breaking one on the ground should be of very minimal risk to you. Let's just say I've seen people be much more thorough in their contact with them and end up still stupid, but fine.
    \(_o)/ ಠ_ಠ
    My Growlist
    NASC Website Come join in on the fun!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast