Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shoot I broke a flourescent bulb

BANNED
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I broke a GE 48" flourescent tube just now. It fell to the ground and half of it exploded. I'm sort of a paranoid person and I'm afraid the house might be contaminated by mercury and other hazardous substances. Anyone ever break a bulb before and how did you clean it up?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the amount of mercury on the tube is very small , if the lamp fell to the ground , the mercury is there but don't look for it because you will never find it , if you want you can put some dust like substante in the floor ( if you don't have anything else you can use baking flour) and them with a broom sweep the floor ( the idea on this is to sweep the flour and with that the small amount of mercury ) , the importante is NOT to use a vacuum cleaner because it is very hot inside a vacuum cleaner and that can make mercury vapors and that will be much more dangerous to you than the mercury on the floor.
    forgive my english but I think you will anderstand the general idea.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Forgive your english? Why cp? Ain't a darn thing wrong with it.
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

BANNED
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah nothing wrong with your english. I broke a Phillips Alto Low Mercury lamp if that helps any. I also vacuumed last night only to find out a few minutes later that I wasn't suppose to because of the mercury vapors. I did open all the windows and screen doors in the house all night long so hopefully it'll diffuse out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I personally wouldnt be too concerned about it. There are people that I know (whom shall remain nameless) who have broken entire cases of flourescent tubes by throwing it out the window and despite the obvious lack of braincells to begin, they are fine for it today. Its not something I'd just hop on the train to do, but I dont think one bulb will cause too much of an issue.

BANNED
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm mostly concerned because I have birds and they can be sensitive to things like this. They seem fine this morning and are begging for food as I type this since I threw out their exposed food that was located near the zone. Thanks for the reassurance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't know breaking a flourescent bulb was an issue. I have broken many of them - or my children have - and I always vacuumed it up. What exactly does mercury do?? Could we all be sick now?

BANNED
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mercury vapor, usually happens after vacuuming, is released and long term exposure will lead to some development problems in very young children. I don't think its that dangerous by just breaking a bulb now that I think about it since we can get the same amount of mercury just by eating tuna. Mercury will eventually be flushed out of our system anyway. I just hate cleaning up the broken shards, they flew everywhere, I think thats the most dangerous part of a bulb.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast