What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The taming of the minibog.

bucket.jpg

First was the "barrel bucket", it's about 16"/40cm in dia. First went a layer of coarse aquarium rock, then Canadian Sphagnum peat top-dressed with LFS. This one is going to be for a couple of Sarrs.

tray.jpg

Then I realized I'd need another container. This one is 24"x18" (53x45cm). First went a layer of coarse aquarium rock, then Canadian Sphagnum peat top-dressed with LFS. This one is going to be for VFTs.

peat.jpg

It seems, though, that I over-estimated the amount of peat I'd be using.... greatly. Of my 3.8 cubic feet... I still have almost all of it. :oops:
I believe I only used the .8, there.

plants.jpg

Unfortunately, I believe I -underestimated- the number of plants I had. Oh well... I can always get another tray! I certainly have enough peat.

As you can see, everyone is just very happy... especially my African Violet, who decided to explode with flowers this spring.

Your gonna stick the plants derectly into the soil right?

Is that an AV?

Wouldnt that be geting to much light for an AV and not enough for any of youre CP's... i have AV's growing with one of my neps... and it doesnt get next to enough light... so its going to go out this summer... or if i can get a table with some lights, otherwise i would stick youre plants in the soil...

Cheers

A friend of mine grows tons of African violets all around her house. She has all kinds of varieties (including ones here children bring back from Africa) that all grow in direct sunlight at some point during the day. They do great.

-D. Lybrand

Well i have mine growing in Strait morning light and thats it... they get brite window light for the rest of the day..

They dont look half bad..

cheers

Yes, the plants are going to go into the media... that was just to lay out their positions, and see whether I had enough space. I didn't.

Yes, that is an African Violet. It's a varigated blue/white double-flowering. It's been doing amazingly well. In the winter it stays in the windowsil, and in the summer it goes out on the more mild days.

The containers get full, bright, sun from noon until sunset.

Well, the Sarrs are in... and they nearly take up the whole thing. *headdesk*

Thanks for the pictures and a list of what you've used. I'm going to have to redo what I've got going on because I want to be able to have mine outside when it gets slightly warmer.

Back