Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Lighting a 2.5gal Terrarium

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello,
    I have a 2.5 gallon tank that was a Pico reef tank(moved to a 5.5)
    I've converted it, added dirt , to a terrarium. I have two PC lighting options I was hoping to use.
    2x9 watts
    2x18 watts
    Currently the 2x9 has 6500k lights in it and the larger one is still setup for reefs
    Will the smaller one be enough light Drosera and butterworts.
    Or should I go ahead and upgrade the larger one?
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Adough @ April 04 2006,1:29)]Hello,
    I have a 2.5 gallon tank that was a Pico reef tank(moved to a 5.5)
    I've converted it, added dirt , to a terrarium. I have two PC lighting options I was hoping to use.
    2x9 watts
    2x18 watts
    Currently the 2x9 has 6500k lights in it and the larger one is still setup for reefs
    Will the smaller one be enough light Drosera and butterworts.
    Or should I go ahead and upgrade the larger one?
    Thanks
    I would add a little more light, at least 25 watts total for healthy plants. The 2x18 watt one would work very well. I would recommend going to Home Depot or Lowes and buying the following.
    1 6,500K daylight compact fluorescent bulb.
    1 Clamp light.
    If you get one of these and add it to your 2x9 watt setup, it will do very well for drosera and pings. Also, welcome to TF.
    dewy
    John 3:16
    My grow list/want list
    Prior to the funeral home visit, we heard ~ "Hey'all watch this ! !"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here, I hope, are the links to the two fixtures. They are much more efficient than the screw in type bulbs. The reflector is of a much higher quality than clamp-on lamps. Currently the smaller one is lighting the tank, b/c I had the bulbs on hand.
    Dewy, you're recommending 10 wpg? Fyi the tank is only about 8" tall. and I have about 4" of substrate. If i'm still not on the right track please let me know. I'd like to keep the smaller light on as it has a much sleeker profile. But, if I need to use the larger one, that's what I'll do.
    Thanks

http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchan....ualight

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Adough @ April 05 2006,9:48)]Here, I hope, are the links to the two fixtures. They are much more efficient than the screw in type bulbs. The reflector is of a much higher quality than clamp-on lamps. Currently the smaller one is lighting the tank, b/c I had the bulbs on hand.
    Dewy, you're recommending 10 wpg? Fyi the tank is only about 8" tall. and I have about 4" of substrate. If i'm still not on the right track please let me know. I'd like to keep the smaller light on as it has a much sleeker profile. But, if I need to use the larger one, that's what I'll do.
    Thanks

Well if the plants are only 4 inches away from the lights, then the 2x9 watt one will be fine. Just make sure the spectrum is 6,500K or even 5,000K. Just make sure that you don't use anything higher than 6,500K as these higher wavelengths are not very useful for cp. Hope this helped.
    dewy
    John 3:16
    My grow list/want list
    Prior to the funeral home visit, we heard ~ "Hey'all watch this ! !"