Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Paver Sand from Lowes?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Uh oh everyone,

I have made a minibog using a rubbermaid bin and filled it with Paver Sand that I bought from Lowe's and Canadian sphagnum peat. Then I layered the top of it with semi-live sphagnum along with countless sundew seeds/hibernaculum that I had spread in it a while ago. My question right now is, is that paver sand toxic? It was the only type of sand I could find at Lowe's at the outside gardening area and it stated in the back that it was suitable for many things, from construction to play sand. But when I was mixing and washing it, I found little clumps of sticky mud or something that reminds me of stuff they put to make the sand better for mixing in with concrete.

As of now, a few sundews in the mix are still dormant, a few hibernaculum have turned brown, and a few have started growing. Anyone think if I should change it? I finally found "play sand" at another nursery and am thinking of dumping my old bog out to replace with that. The once-green sphagnum doesn't seem to be growing and is instead turning mushy black-green.

Thanks

Johnny

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://www.pikenursery.com/stories_p..._04_01_00.html

Hmm...i take that back. It seems this website recommended usage of paver sand, not play sand (latter of which I got from The SAVAGE GARDEN). Maybe I'll let it go for a bit longer...tis only been 2 weeks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Straight peat is just fine. Cheaper too. Why use a mix of this and that when they grow in the wild in peat, and in some areas a very fine sandy peat. The ones in peat were no different than those in the sand and peat.
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hahah i used to use straight peat and it worked I guess. I was just trying to get fancy with it as an intermediate-level grower Also, it's because I've seen lots of sundews growing in straight up sand in bogs back in Jersey (especially D. filiformis). Finally, I'm kinda doing an experiment to see whether more sand or more peat will grow better plants.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Even if one sure that the media they use is safe, it is always wise to rinse it well before use. A plastic spaghetti collander works well, better than buckets, where natural media can float.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its funny, hearing everone have problems finding sand. I was, until I gave up looking for it at stores, and just dug a hole in my yard. People at the stores looked at me crazy when I asked for sand, there are 5 solid counties that are mostly sand around here. I'm on the east edge of it, but still far enough in.

The soil here is 90% sand 10% loam (silt/clay/organic mix). It's already acidic, and nuteriantly challenged. Unfortunatly it is a bit finer then optimal.

People at the stores looked at me crazy when I asked for sand, there are 5 solid counties that are mostly sand around here.
    \"Anyway, no drug, not even alcohol, causes the fundamental ills of society. If we're looking for the source of our troubles, we shouldn't test people for drugs, we should test them for stupidity, ignorance, greed and love of power.\"
    --P. J. O'Rourke
    GL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use medium-size blasting sand (#20 sandblasting sand), bought from a local hardware/home/garden business, which is almost pure silica sand. I do wash it well first. This particular brand (oglebay) has a dust suppressant coating that either washes off or does no harm to the plants, since I have been using it for about a year and a half with no noticeable bad effects.

I tried "play sand" but I avoid it scrupulously now. It seems to have crushed granite, limestone and all kinds of small particles of various types of rock in it, some of which I'm sure is water soluble and boosts the total dissolved solids in the water to an unacceptable degree.

Last year I germinated dozens of Venus Flytrap seeds. They were doing beautifully until I decided to "anchor" the seedlings to the planting medium with small pinches of "play sand" gently sprinkled on the seedlings. Although it took a few weeks and I had no idea at the time what the reason might be, they all died. Now I firmly believe, although I cannot prove, that the "play sand" was at fault. It is as bad for CP (at least for VFTs) as riverbed or ocean sand, from my point of view.

Anyway, just my two bits--

Best wishes everyone.
    Be happy in the travel--there is no destination

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sand. Who needs it?
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast