What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greenhouse?

The place I work just got some greenhouse thing in the other day. All what it really is is just a a rack that you can put your pot and trays on and it comes with some plastic bag that goes over it. It's not a hard plastic but it's like a thicker pvc plastic bag. It's hard to explain. I was thinking I could get this because it would help with keeping like birds and other terrorists out of my plants. That only thing is would it be good for VFT's and other CP's when it's right in the direct sunlight? Would it get too hot? Would just getting a shelf and keeping the plants off the ground be better? Would the sun be better for them without the bag? I know I have a lot of questions but I'm just trying to do what's best for my plants.

Hey, im really new having cp, but green houses are more hot!, maybe if u can instal a ventilation sistem they can b better, but my green house is hot always, is the only bad i found, i water my plants 2 or 3 times per day, cuz is very hot.

The VFT and other North American CP would probably do better just out in the sun in a water tray.. .no coverings!

You are correct that it would quickly reach temperatures hot enough to cook eggs inside if the sun hit it.

Those units are probably best suited for indoors situations to help keep humidity levels higher. Even then you would need to choose lighting carefully as temperatures can become an issue as well.

Tony

Well the covering comes off so maybe it would help in the winter keep the temps higher then outside but not too high for their dorment time.

Guess that would depend where you live with respect to temperature ranges and the plants you are thinking of keeping in it.

Quite frankly though small enclosed grow areas, exposed to outdoor environmental conditions, are generally going to cause more problems than they solve. The environment within the chamber just fluctuates way too radically and rapidly for happy plants.

Tony

Venus Flytraps in Milwaukee, Wisconsin and some sundews is what I'm growing. I'm not gonna use the plastic in the summer but in the winter I will have it in a unheated front hall/walkway that won't get much warmer in the winter. I was thinking that the plastic would help keep it a little warmer for them.

ok if what you are talking about is the 4 tier greenhouse or teh 4 shelf in which comes also in 3 shelf and a 2 shelf. I live in philadelphia PA and we have a hard winter. I have one of these greenhouses. I would not recommend it to keep the plants warm for the winter for one main reason. What happens is we have temps that are like usually 28 as a high in the coldest part of winter. Now inside the greenhouse temp is like 70. But as soon as the sun is down that greenhouse hits 20 or even lower as it loses its heat very quick. so 70 at the day and 20 at night. Hmm. Like Tony said to much flucuation of temps. Thats drastic also what would happen is fungi would quickly develop and the tubers would rot even with the use of fungicides. Its best to leave the plants stay cold all winter. Last year i lost all my sarracenia and hardy drosera and some vfts in a greenhouse because of it. This past winter i lost no cps over winter and practly left them frozen solid all winter burried in snow. I put them in the shady parts of my yard and covered them with pine needles and dug the pots so that the rim of the pot was even with the ground level. Didnt lose one this way and now i get to see my sarracenias bloom and my filiformis for a second year. Lost like 20 cps that winter.

I do use the greenhouse in a location where there is light but not direct so that temps really dont go above 100. It sure is great for starting tomatos, peppers, watermelons, cantelope, etc. Got the greenhouse loaded currently.
smile_n_32.gif

Back