What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Greenhouse / Plantstand

Hi all,

Can't believe I am poisting in the grenhouse section, these darn cps, they just suck you right in.

Well this weekend I built a nice gardenstand, for my wife of course. It just happens that my cps take up more space. Dimensions 8' height x 4' width x 8' length. It has 4 step layers on the bottm each 1' deep, each one is 4" higher than the one before it. So the top step is 1'4" from ground level. There are rafters at 8' high, spaced every 2' that have eyelets for hanging neps.

Now the the thing is I have all of my cps in it now. My neps, Sarcennias, Drosera, and pings. My neps were orginally hanging from the roof awning, so they were bright without direct sun and doing pretty well. Now that they are in the gardenstand they are in direct sun. My concern is that I will end up toasting them.

So here are the specfics, I am in south Florida (zone 10). I am thinking of putting a shade cloth (55% I think) on the top of the gardenstand maybe a little on the sides figure the top 2 feet.

This way my plants that need plenty of light still get it because they are way down on the bottom anf the neps hanging from the top don't get toasted. How does that seem?

Why don't you cover the top of it with a piece of latus? You can get a 4x8 sheet from lowes for about 17 bucks. Thats alot cheaper than shade cloth. It gives you about 50% shade approximately. What Neps are you growing? I haev a truncata, sanguina, ventrata, bicalcarata and one other groing here in Ga haning from the latus. It seems to be enough shade for the Neps and I can grow cattleyas under it too without worry. Just an idea. I will have to post that pick soon.

Oh Brendhan I haven't forgoten about the memory picture either. Just been busy here.

oooo i like that idea ~ jb orchidguy ~ i have a piece of latus i was about to put outside with a free sign on it ~ but now ~ a new project. is yours free standing with open sides ? and how tall is it considering you have a few hanging from the latus.

It stands about 7 to 8 foot tall. It is free standing. I made it from scrap wood, and I had the peice of latus sitting around. It has a frame made on the top for the latus to be nailed to, and the 4 legs coming down. Then there is a shelf built about 3 to 3.5 foot up to set plants on too. It was made for my orchids, but when I got into Nepenthes I put them out there too. I will post a picture on my website and link it here so you can see how it was made. The only thing I need to do to it this year is support the shelf. Its sagging in the middle, but the wood I used was all scrap! I got it from a friend of mine that works at clubcar, and this wood was from packing crates and things. So all the wood is not treated, but its the same wood I used to build my benches in my GH. I will use them till they fall apart, and that doesn't apear to be any time soon. The wood is not treated or anything, but it was free. LOL

Excellent idea

JB_OrchidGuy: No sweating it. I am in Tallahassee till Saturday and then I may have to run to Miami.

Would that be... lattice?
smile.gif

Sounds like a great plantstand. I'm sure you'll fill it in no time.

Peter

I've been comtemplating buying a roll of 10' x 25' plastic sheeting for $10 and draping it over wood or sheliving units. Of course the sheeting would have to be stapled. Whaddya think?

Plastic sheeting traps to much heat for my liking, also doesn't allow water flow. So I went with a stiff plastic mesh for my shelves and shade cloth for the top and sides. The idea for the lattice was great but came after I ordered my shade cloth. However since my sister has seen mine and wants me to build one for her. I will use the lattice on hers.

Yes that is Lattice. I was spelling it phonetically.
smile_m_32.gif
And Jim Scott. You can try the plastic your talking about, but believe me from experience that its not going to last but about 6 months, maybe 8 months TOPS. Thats what I use to cover my Green House with 2 layers, and its enough to get me through the winter, but by the end of summer its all fallen apart. If you want it permanent go with the Green House plastic, but its a little more expensive than 10 bucks. Also Jimscott they sell these channel type things for Green houses that attach the plastic without having to staple it. Pretty neat actually. I will be ordering some when I finish the new Green House structure.

Back