User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: What type of bulb?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, I have decided that i am going to use some type of HID system for my terrarium. It is big, 4ft x 3ft x 2.5ft, and is lit with fluoros. I figured that a 250watt bulb should be enough light, but I was wondering which type of bulb to get- MH or HPS? Metal halide was my first choice since it is best for vegetative growth, although HPS bulbs last long and you get more lumens per watt(I think). Any opinions?Thanks,
    David

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not up-to-date on which systems are better for what, as I gave up on the expensive rigs a while ago. :) But, have you considered high-output fluorescents, such as T5s? I believe I've read claims that they rival HID systems and at lower operating costs to boot.
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You should consider the heat output of MH and HPS lights which is much higher than that of fluorescent tubes. You should be especially concerned if your terrarium is covered, because extra lighting won't help cooked plants.

I wouldn't let the temp inside the terrarium climb above 95F during the day (and it should be cooler than that for some CPs). You may consider keeping the lid partially open and/or running a fan across the lights to help reduce temperature.

Good luck.
    Secretary, New England Carnivorous Plant Society (NECPS) http://www.necps.org/
    Member, International Carnivorous Plant Society (ICPS)
    Member, North American Sarracenia Conservancy (NASC)
    Member, The Carnivorous Plant Society (CPS)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (123dhs @ April 30 2006,11:48)]So, I have decided that i am going to use some type of HID system for my terrarium. It is big, 4ft x 3ft x 2.5ft, and is lit with fluoros. I figured that a 250watt bulb should be enough light, but I was wondering which type of bulb to get- MH or HPS? Metal halide was my first choice since it is best for vegetative growth, although HPS bulbs last long and you get more lumens per watt(I think). Any opinions?Thanks,
    David
    I use these for my 2 10gal. terrariums. Two of these would be more than enouh for your terrarium, and they don't produce alot of heat.
    dewy
    John 3:16
    My grow list/want list
    Prior to the funeral home visit, we heard ~ "Hey'all watch this ! !"