What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

help with a terrarium cover

right now my terrarium cover is just some GLAD press and seal wrap with clothes pins holding the gaps together... but it keeps falling off when it gets too wet is there like a plastic cover or hood i can buy somewhere??

Not that I favor terrarium growing, but you could have a local glass company cut you a piece of plexiglass, make the measurment about 1/2 inch more than you need. Costs about 5 bucks here.

If you're using an aquarium, consider laying it on its front so the opening faces you....you can get in a lot more plants as long as they aren't tall growing species, then use the "top" as a door - a velcro strip can act like a hinge. Just a thought.

Personally, I prefer to grow in trays on a rack. Any covering on a terrarium, even plastic wrap, greatly reduces the type of light the plants utilize, and light is the single most important factor to good CP growth. If you have 40-70% relative humidity most CP (at least Drosera ,Pinguicula and most tricularia will do just fine.

Or, for the chronically lazy, Home Depot sells pre-cut plexiglass at various sizes ranging from 11" x 9" to 36" x 30".

Mokele

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Personally, I prefer to grow in trays on a rack. Any covering on a terrarium, even plastic wrap, greatly reduces the type of light the plants utilize, and light is the single most important factor to good CP growth. If you have 40-70% relative humidity most CP (at least Drosera ,Pinguicula and most tricularia will do just fine.

I once had 4 terraria (10, 20, 30, 55 gal) and completely agree with Tamlin--they just aren't necessary for most CPs and can actually make cultivation of many species harder. Poor air circulation can cause fungal problems, light bulbs can create baking temperatures in the terrarium, and the covers have to be cleaned to get maximum light through. Not to mention that space-wise, terrariums can be very inefficient.

I now grow almost all of my plants on growracks. I still have a few lowland neps and heliamphora in a 20 gal terrarium for extra high humidity, but all my other CPs do well on growracks with 40-70% ambient humidity. And, since most of my CPs are in trays of distilled water (either sitting in the water or above it), the local humidity is close to 90%.

Now, to answer your question, if you have a standard 10 or 20 gal tank, you could buy premade covers at your local PetCo which sells them separately from the tanks. Other local petstores may have covers as well, but I'm not sure whether they sell the covers separately from the tank.

Good luck with the terrarium.

im going to start a large project this summer...a Highland nepenthes tank. im going to follow swords setup. but im not going to use an expensive glass terrarium. ill make one using plexi-glass. much less expensive and doesnt break as easy as glass.
wish me luck
alex

Back