Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I Need A Greenhouse

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello, about a year or two ago I began growing my carnivorous plants in a terrarium but now that my terrarium is full I would like to have a greenhouse where I can keep my plants.

If anyone can think of a descent greenhouse to buy please tell me! Only one catch though! Since I'm only 16 i dont bring in much money and am looking for one that is around $100 - $200 that is descent! Thanks!!
    Hey! Wats Happenin! Lean Wit It Rock Wit It!

----------------

Ask Me How I Know....It's Me....Surprise! Its's Goin Down!

----------------

Do Watcha Do You And Yo Crew! Snap Yo Fingers!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can try looking in the classified section of your local paper. Sometimes people will be basically giving away a greenhouse if you take it apart and haul it away.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    THanks I Just Checked that and all over the internet but no deal!

----------------

----------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check E-Bay
    My life sucks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where in CA are you? What plants are you primarily growing? Maybe you don't need a greenhouse at all??

If you are on a budget then your best bet would be a DIY project out of wood or pvc pipe or something. I think you will find though that while it is not terribly expensive to build a small greenhouse structure and cover it with plastic, the equipment needed to monitor and control the temperature and humidity are expensive. Skimping on this aspect of the project usually just leads to disaster for the plants when the greenhouse freezes/roasts.

There are a number of CA growers that simply grow their plants outdoors all year with minimal setups.

Tony
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes I agree with Tony. I thought I was going to get away with building a GH for 300 bucks. Boy was I wrong. The plastic alone to cover a GH is around 120 bucks for a 12 x 12 GH. The cheap plastic you buy at Lowe's or HD will only last you about 6 months. I put it up before winter, and by the end of summer it is all deteriorated. I have two heaters, granted they only cost me 17 apiece, but you have to think about the electricity they are pulling, and the systems to run them. I have 2 home made thermostat controllers my grandfather built me, but to buy them outright they are about 80 buck a piece. I managed to get some fans for free. The main exhaust fan is a squirrel cage fan that came out of the old furnace in the house. You may be able to get by with buying one for only 200, but you will have to constantly be monitoring it for temp and humidity. Good luck
    JB
    Friend me on facebook with JB_orchidguy@yahoo.com.
    Growlist Updated 05/08/13

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well right now i am growing a sweet pitcher sarracenia, a dente VFT and a wide mouth VFT outside

Also I am growing about 6 drosera, 1 ping, and one utri inside in a terrarium.

Ii was interested in starting to grow some nepenthes because they look really cool and would be cool to show off

Thanks
    Anthony

----------------

----------------

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hellz, Neps are cool, but they are not objects to "show off". Some of the finest plants on the planet are the Nepenthes. I WILL NOT grow them myself because they need more exacting conditions than my sarracenia, VFT, drosera, or pings. For that reason, and the fact a greenhouse would break my bank, are the only reasons I do not have them. I love neps, but at present, I will have to love them in SOMEONE ELSE'S collection. Pete D'Amato has a really gorgeous n. mastersiana in his collection. I hope Wicked Thistle got to see it.
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast