What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The June terrarium picture thread!

how are the LED's working? how much are they?

Impressive looking hamata! What are the specs of that tank?

The LED lights are working well so far, but I have only been using them a few months.

The tank that has my N. hamata and H. minor x heterodoxa is a converted 55 gallon fish tank with an eggcrate a few inches above the base. I allow water to sit at the bottom and I pump air into the water using an aquarium air pump. I have it nearly sealed and I use 4 cool white, 32 watt T8 flourescent lights ontop. Right now the temperature fluctuates 65F - 85F, but typically the low temperatures are in the 50's in my unheated basement.

Well it seems to be working. Do you know the humidity? I'm assuming it's fairly close to 100% with all that water. I'm particularly interested in this tank seeing as mine is almost identical in terms of specs escept my humidity is between 70%-90%. I'd love to grow some more exotic neps eventually.

Zac

Dave: Your N. hamata and sun pitcher look amazing. Would you mind posting more pictures of your entire tank? I've lately been redoing most of my collection/conditions so I'd love to see your setup!

The LED is what amazes me I love it!

Zac, Dave:

Beautiful plants!

Dave, how many times will you torture me with that N.hamata! I drool over it at our NECPS meetings, and now you tease me with pics on the forum.
smile.gif
Very nice plant.

--Ken

Thanks, Ken. Im still amazed that I lucked out and won the that N. hamata in an NECPS raffle last year.

Zak, my humidity readings are around 85%, but I suspect it gets higher than that.

Mitch, I designed the tank more for function than looks, but here is the whole tank:

Terrarium55.jpg

Another grow area that is like a home-made terrarium made with a rack and greenhouse plastic:

growarea.jpg

Dave, thanks for posting pictures of your setup. Even though you designed it all for function rather than looks, I think it's very nice!

Quick question: What's your watering technique for your Neps? Do you have them sitting in saucers or do you just let the water freely drain away?

I have two N. hamatas that aren't doing so well right now and any and all help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks.

I let the water drain away. I have grown a few neps in water before, but I now prefer a mix of LFS and orchid bark. I seem to have better luck with a well-drained potting mix, that stays damp, but not overly wet.

When I grows neps outside, I will let them sit in a dish of water.

I am a big fan of live LFS for my N. hamata based on my experience and what I have read.

Thanks for the info Dave. My Neps don't seem to mind sitting in water for the most part, but trying the free-draining method might be a good idea. All I know is that your Neps look good and mine do not! Haha!

A little late for june but here's one of my terrariums =P

lets see if I do this right

plants_by_criminalhate.jpg

Nice Plants.
Are both those VFT's in pots?
I really enjoy the backboard, makes everything look nice and classic.

Zac

Thank You =)

Actually no the VFT is not in a pot and the one that is in a pot is a cobra Lilly (atleast thats what the lowes tag sad)
confused.gif

That would be my excellent eyesight

or it could be the unfocused picture
biggrin.gif

you think spending to much on the camara would mean good pictures but no it doesnt =P Now I have to shell out money for a decent macro lens

Back