User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The June terrarium picture thread!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (sdeering @ June 18 2006,9:29)]Hey back2 are those poison dart frogs? What happens if you touch one of them. Do you fall over?
    Thanks Stephen
    to answer that...No. in the wild the food they eat makes them toxic. in captivity they are not harmful at all.
    alex
    Everything is explainable. The seemingly unexplainable is but a result of our insufficient knowledge.- Hans Brewer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks glider

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sorry, I am just now getting back to this thread. Been busy. To answer the questions, those are tomato frogs. I have never touched them because they secrete a glue-like substance when you do and it is supposedly very hard to wash off. that is their defense mechanism.

I do have poison dart frogs and there is no problems with keeping them with CPs. The harm, if any, will come to the plants from not getting enough light. A nepenthes is a good choice, but it is hard to get the rest of them the amount of sunlight that they need if you have a very over grown tank like dart frogs like. One alternative is to mount pots for the plants higher up on the back of the tank so that they are right under the light. That works well.

Here is a pic of one of my poison dart frogs and you can see a ping in the pic as well. I don't think I posted this one yet, if I did, my apologies.

Nice healthy looking plants zac. They look really good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here are a few pictures I took today:

A small 10 gallon terrarium I using to test some LED grow lights:

Here is a picture of N. hamata and H. minor x heterodoxa that are sitting in my 55 gallon terrarium:

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    how are the LED's working? how much are they?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Impressive looking hamata! What are the specs of that tank?
    "You can never underestimate the stupidity of the general public" -Scott Adams-

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The LED lights are working well so far, but I have only been using them a few months.

The tank that has my N. hamata and H. minor x heterodoxa is a converted 55 gallon fish tank with an eggcrate a few inches above the base. I allow water to sit at the bottom and I pump air into the water using an aquarium air pump. I have it nearly sealed and I use 4 cool white, 32 watt T8 flourescent lights ontop. Right now the temperature fluctuates 65F - 85F, but typically the low temperatures are in the 50's in my unheated basement.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well it seems to be working. Do you know the humidity? I'm assuming it's fairly close to 100% with all that water. I'm particularly interested in this tank seeing as mine is almost identical in terms of specs escept my humidity is between 70%-90%. I'd love to grow some more exotic neps eventually.

Zac
    "You can never underestimate the stupidity of the general public" -Scott Adams-

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast