User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Sooty mold?

  1. #1
    SpyCspider's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    San Antonio & Sugar Land, TX
    Posts
    203
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi everyone,

    I've found these in both my outdoor and indoor collections, but mostly indoor. There is this invasion of black, slimy what I can only guess is mold on top of my sphagnum dressing. Closer inspection shows that it's made of very very tiny spherical clusters that resembles very fine caviar. When I dab some on my fingers and rub them, it smells sickenly sweet. Are these harmful and what can I do to get rid of it?
    Thanks a lot.

    Johnny

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Oswego, New York, U.S.A.
    Posts
    5,290
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like slime mold. Never had that so don't know what it can or can't do, but if it is a valuable member in your collection, you might want to repot it into clean mix to be on the safer side of it. If not, then let it be and observe it. Slime mold is hard to find and pretty interesting!
    "Grow More, Share More"

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    29
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Tamlin Dawnstar @ June 24 2006,2:35)]Sounds like slime mold. Never had that so don't know what it can or can't do, but if it is a valuable member in your collection, you might want to repot it into clean mix to be on the safer side of it. If not, then let it be and observe it. Slime mold is hard to find and pretty interesting!
    Slime molds are, AFAIK, pretty harmless to plants. They eat algae and other detritus.

  4. #4
    War. War never changes. Est's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Champaign, IL
    Posts
    3,935
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]Slime mold is hard to find and pretty interesting!
    I second that! I had a talk about them with my hort teacher a while back. Pretty neet stuff.
    \(_o)/ ಠ_ಠ
    My Growlist
    NASC Website Come join in on the fun!

  5. #5
    chloroplast's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Massachusetts, USA
    Posts
    824
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They seem to be harmless enough, at least compared to most other stuff that can get into your collection.

    Just be careful with your utrics and pygmy dews....they can be smothered by it, and the slime mold seems to slow the emergence of new utric lolons and sundew divisions.
    Secretary, New England Carnivorous Plant Society (NECPS) http://www.necps.org/
    Member, International Carnivorous Plant Society (ICPS)
    Member, North American Sarracenia Conservancy (NASC)
    Member, The Carnivorous Plant Society (CPS)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •