What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My A. avicularia recently moulted and outgrew its old container, so I built a new terrarium for it. And what better way to decorate it and keep up the humidity than by planting tropical plants. The N. sanguinea is sitting above a small rubbermaid container with drainage holes about 1" above the bottom. To keep things moist I will pour water on the sphagnum around the Nepenthes. That will fill the "tray" and excess water will seep into the surrounding soil for the U. longifolia.

The tank itself is built out of 8.5 x 11" sheets of plexiglass. These used to cover plaques, and they conveniently have holes in each corner. Each plate is fastened to a frame at the bottom by small nails and spots of glue. At the top corners they are held together by wire. The bottom of the terrarium is wood; I covered it with a square of 6 mil plastic and sealed everything up to soil level with silicone. The lid is a wooden frame with chicken wire and I added a pane of plexiglass down the middle to keep up the humidity for the spider. Since arboreal tarantulas often like to build their webs up against the roof of their tank, I cut the wire on one side of the lid so that a flap can be lifted up for feeding.

70906001small1we.jpg

Peter

Nice thank !
Make shure that the sanguinea doesn't eat your tatantula
smile_n_32.gif

Great tank. I didn't know you had spiders. Or A spider. I thought about building custom tanks but plexiglass is rather expensive.

Still...tarantulas are creepy looking things.
confused.gif

Neat setup. Great concept.

Dang... sure wish I could build a plexiglass tank!

That tank looks great

I would sure not want to be an insect in that tank!

nepenthes or spider....

So cool! I love the idea of putting CPs and other creatures/plants in the same environment. I hope to have a vivarium someday
smile.gif

Nice tank Rubra.

Thanks for the comments everybody. The tank wasn't really hard to build; I just kinda put it together from stuff I had lying around. It might have been a little tough had I done it right
smile_n_32.gif
as it is it holds together but ultimately isn't as stable as I'd like. Still it does the job and if everything goes right it'll look like a real terrarium someday.

Peter

Hey there Rubra! I came across this post again and I was wondering how the terrarium is coming along. How's the Nep doing in there? An updated picture would be greatly appreciated!

LG, I'd post a pic but it really doesn't look much different as of yet. The longifolia is spreading as normal and the sanguinea is growing rather slowly, probably due to low light. The biggest change is lots of webbing all over everthing and a shelf of webbing under the wood. The spider has also pasted all four walls with excrement
smile_n_32.gif

Peter

Back