What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

question on timers and CFL's

I just received some 26 watt CFL's to go in my terrarium hood.
The bulbs came with a warning that they are not to be used with photo electric cells, dimmers, and also timers.

Is there any issue with using a timer with these bulbs?
Thanks,
Peter

it could be like a disclaimer so in case you do use one and something bad does happen the company isn't liable, then agian it could blow up!

i've never seen that on any other bulbs.

I have been using 65W CFL by connecting them to a outlet strip, and I have the whole strip on a timer. I have had this set up for a couple of years without an issue.

Dimmers are probably much more of a problem than timers.

I've had no issues connecting CFLs to a timer.

Dimmers would be a major problem. Timers shouldn't be.

IIRC - fluorescent lights have more of an inductive load (vs resistive load for incandescents). Many timer manufacturers put how many watts they are rated for on the timer (or in the literature).

The inductive load rating is typically smaller than the resistive load, so the fluorescent people are covering their butts. To be safe - check the info on the timer. If you're not going crazzy placing hundreds of watts on a timer, you are probably fine....

Thanks all. I think it'll be ok to put them on a timer.

I read somewhere that the problem with timers is that a small amount of electricity is still flowing to the bulbs even when the timer is off. I guess this shortens the life of the bulb?
Peter
confused.gif

Back