What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Canadian peat bog

19 July 2008: Some news. Everything growing well.

Okay, here’s what survived to our Canadian winter (514 cm of snow, a new record).

Dionaea muscipula: My 2 Dionaea died during winter :(
Drosera rotundifolia: They’re all dead. I think it’s because I let them make flowers last summer (pumping too much energy).
Drosera intermedia: Most of them died, but a few survived (3-4). Probably for the same reason than rotundifolia (flowers + Canadian winter = bad)
Drosera anglica: All survived, even if they made some flowers last year.
Utricularia dichotoma: Holy cow! They survived! Dichotoma can survive to -20 C for a few weeks. It’s growing like crazy and making flower.
Sarracenia Danas delight: Alive, but looks bad
Sarracenia oreophylla: Alive, excellent health
Sarracenia judith hindle: Alive
Sarracenia pupurea: Survived, but look like it’s going to die
Sarracenia minor: Alive, not strong
Sarracenia flava (2 clones): Alive (Ornata suck, flava is awesome)

And new plants added this summer:

Drosera filiformis: 8-10 filiformis, they’re growing fast
Darlingtonia californica: A medium sized one, grow in full sun and already have 4 new pitchers. It should survive winter.
Dionaea muscipula (akai ruy, dentate and ordinary): Growing fast and big. The biggest one have 1 ½ inches traps.
Pinguicula vulgaris: 5 little ping
Sarracenia rubra: a small one
Drosera capensis: 2 small capensis

My peat bog in general:
general.JPG

Pinguicula vulgaris:
vulgaris.JPG

Utricularia dichotoma that survived winter!!! (-20 Celsius for a few weeks + 500 cm of snow):
utricularia%20dichotoma.JPG

Sarracenia oreophila:
oreophila.JPG

Drosera intermedia:
intermedia.JPG

Sarracenia flava copper top:
flava%20cupper.JPG

flavaurne.JPG

Drosera filiformis:
filiformis.JPG

Dionaea:
dionaea.JPG

Darlingtonia californica:
darlingtonia.JPG

Drosera anglica:
anglica.JPG

Thanks for the update. Sorry for your losses. Your S. oreophylla and S. flava look fantastic!

xvart.

I just read this entire topic. You have had some amazing plants & wonderful & clever bog construction. A fabulous thread to read! I hope to see more updates, in the near future!

Amazing! Thanks for the update :D.

Hi DOm,

Looks liek the vfts are doing great. The B52 is standing out well in comparison there. :) Great job with them all. :) Thanks for the update. :)

cheers,

V

So, how are they handling this winter? :)

And, will your blog ever be back?

Back