What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Canadian peat bog

Sarracenia leucophylla Danas delight:
Sarracenia%20leucophylla.JPG

Sick Sarracenia purpurea :
Sarracenia%20malade.JPG

Sarracenia%20malade%20feuille.JPG

Pinguicula grandiflora:
Pinguicula.JPG

smile_h_32.gif

Are you sure to keep youre Bog free of waste like grass clippings and leaf's? Try getting rid of that moss thats in their. Could the lining have broke?

October 20: Lots of seeds, and all plants are ready for winter. We had our first 0 Celsius a few days ago (32F)

Tourb1.JPG

Torub2.JPG

Drosera filiformis:
fili.JPG

Drosera intermedia:
drinter.JPG

coindr.JPG

Utricularia livida:
utric.JPG

Pinguicula grandifolia:
ping.JPG

Last survivor of Utricularia intermedia:
utriinter.JPG

Salut dom!

What do you do with the aquatic tank for winter? Do you leave it in the bog to freeze as well, and do you pile any snow around it in the winter? I live in Alexandria Bay, NY just over the bridge and I am interested and motivated by your effort and success in creation of a bog garden.

Cheers!

Dustin

I let the tank freeze, and when there's snow I add it on the peat bog.

Nice! Very Nice! Now I can't wait till I can make a peat bog in my yard

by the way dom, looking at your S. purpurea i think it has a rust spot fungus, you can try a very mild solution of a fungicide from a store, just very dilute.

1 December 2006: Nothing to say. The fifth December we received our first snow, and today (8 December) it's -12 Celsius (10F) outside. Brrrrr!

P1020555.JPG

Drosera filiformis :
P1020557.JPG

P1020558.JPG

Pinguicula grandifolia:
P1020570.JPG

This is so interesting. So you did nothing to prepare your bog for winter? I was looking at your list of plant survival last winter and I am impressed by how much survived. What were your expectations as far as plants surviving? With those results did you make any additions or modifications to the plants that you put in the bog?

I also like the great variety in the plants. Well done, and I look forward to any and all updates.

xvart.

Nice bog!

Are you planing to add some other pings to it in the spring?

I see that you're expecting some gemmae!
smile.gif

hey dom. how do you protect your plants from the freezing wind?
Alex

This year I won't protect it with a plastic sheep or something. I'll let the nature do the job.

This year I'm trying Drosera binata, Sarracenia flava, minor, and Utricularia livida again. Next summer I will try to grow (only during summer) a few tropical plants (Utricularia longifolia, genlisea lobata x violacea, ...)

And about my peat bog, I've got a surprise for next spring.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]And about my peat bog, I've got a surprise for next spring.
.... i hate surprises. unless they are good ones.
smile.gif

Alex

I wish I could do that hear in Ohio, but because we dont get as much snow I cant do that.

No fair.

January 21: The peat bog is now completely covered of snow. Last week we had -15F (-40F if you add the wind factor) for two days.

P1030207.JPG

see this is why im not having a good dormancy. were getting no snow!! we had freezing rain(thank god i protected them last night.) this morning. i cant until spring!!
Alex

yea i feel i might have lost a good amount of my VFT's.... :-( least you have snow...

All my plants in the garage froze solid, lol.

-Ben

This probably one of the coolest things that I've seen on this board! I've always thought of doing something like this in my yard. My skill in building things is lacking I am really thinking of trying it... Can you make like a list of the materials you used and how much it costed? I'm also interested in how you keep the water table high that'd be A LOT of distilled water to buy for me. xD Oh and also how did you get the water table high in the first place?

I'm looking forward to your next updates!

Here a list of what I used (american dollars):
Peat: 80$
Rubber sheet (or cover, I can't find the name in english) :36$
Geotextile: 9$
Plants: 160$
Others (wood, ...): 25$
Total: 310$ (150$ for material, 160$ for plants)

For the water, I only used rain water to fill it the first time (recolted water during a storm). But I'm sure you can use ordinary water for the first time without problem. After that I don't need to add water, rain do the job (there's even too much water, that's why I putted that:
Evacuation%20eau.JPG

Back