What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pics of the new Greenhouse!

• Thread starter schloaty
  • Start date

schloaty

Staff member
100_2098.jpg

100_2097.jpg

100_2096.jpg

100_2095.jpg

100_2094.jpg

As you can see, it's still rather empty. I hope to change that soon....
smile_m_32.gif

Also, I found all those black trays at the Chrismass tree shop for a buck each - should be able to hold quite a few NASC seedlings!

AWESOME! makes me want to greenhouse even more! what types of CPs will you be focusing on...other than NASC seedlings? what are the conditions inside? what type of light does it get? how are you going theat in the winter and cool in the summer?
Alex

I think you could use about 15 more Neps along the one side... and uhmm With all the extra space, a TC lab in the house.. and once you got youre seedlings and youre lab stuff going youre set!

I mean, nice green house what you putting in it? How much did it set you back?
smile_m_32.gif

I use those same trays for my dews. The dews are in pots and thats the water holder. I get them for about 1.19 each here in Ga. Very nice GH. I hate to say it, but you will be looking to upgrade soon. You will have that sucker filled in no time! Mine i 12x12 and have had it two years. I am expanding it soon. Looking good though! Make sure you take pictures when it gets full. Oh and your going to wish you went taller too! I did.
smile_n_32.gif

Ok, ok....so I didn't give enough details:

9'8" wide by 14' long by 7' high at peak (I don't think I'd want much taller as I need a ladder for even that short height. I'm only 5'7"....also don't plan on growing any trees in there). It doesn't sound that big - but it is (at least it looks big that empty, lol)

It will get sun pretty much all day long, but I got a 50% shade cloth free with purchase, so I can shade part of it for the neps.

It's going to be a highland house, cooled at night in the summer with my new evaporative cooler and heated in the winter with two new heaters.

I'm going to probably have mostly neps in there, and sars/vfts in winter for dormancy-lite. Don't know how that will work out....will have to see if they really do go dormant with the day temps in the upper 70's.

I also plan on trying to keep some veggies in the winter - tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers. Don't know if they're going to like the somewhat cool temps, but I do plan on running some supplamental lighting. That will solve the weak winter light problem, at least.

All in all, I'm really psyched. Greenhouse, base (which it turns out I didn't need, doh), two shelf kits, two heaters, the evaporative cooler and several hooks for hanging plants ran me just over 5K.

Could ya give an estimate of how much it costed to make? I've been thinking about building one sooner or later but I'm under the impression that they cost A LOT. So.. yeah that's why I haven't done it yet. xD

Get a greenhouse supply cattaloge. Farm teck is a good one. That poly carbinate sheeting is not cheap. I have been pricing it, but I am going to go with GH plastic with an air gap for insilation.

schloaty I am 5'7 also and my GH is 9 foot tall at the peak with rounded sides. Once you start hangin plants from the rafters you will see why I said your going to wish it was taller. I am constantly hitting my head on backets and pots that are haning on the side poles. The center ones are fine they are tall enough. You will see
smile_n_32.gif
It looks good though and you will get alot of plants in there, but it will fill up fast. You also could have gotten an Atlis GH that is HUGE for 5K. It would just have needed an evap cooler for the reer and a front wall made for it. It also wouldhave been 6 mil plastic too and not the nicer polycarbinate like you have. That is one nice GH. I wish mine looked that good. I will just be asking you in a year or two if you still think its tall enogh.
smile_n_32.gif
Who knows you may not like hanging plants like I do so it may be perfect for your needs. I just know mine is not tall enough and a friend of mine who has one like yours, says hers is not tall enough, and hers is taller than yours.
smile_m_32.gif
We also grow orchids too and the roots can gangle with those. Good luck, and I want to see more pictures when you start getting more plants too please.

Didn't think about the hanging pots.....But now that I do, I don't think they'll be a problem. I just won't hang them where I walk. There is plenty of room to hang stuff to the sides....at least for what I have right now.

I saw that GH you're talking about, JB, but I just can't use 6mm. 8mm (with 10 mm side walls) is much better for me - NY winters can be brutal, even in the southern reaches of the state.

Nice greenhouse!Like someone told me,once you plan on a greenhouse size get one twice as big because it fills up fast!And they had a 32' wide x 110' long!I have bought a greenhouse tubing bender and done the math on a complete greenhouse,mine planing on being a 10' wide x 10' high x 20' long.It is possible to do for around $1000,but that includes thermostat controlled fan/vent and heat.Since I live in Ga. I don't need a super big heater,but I plan on growing my neps and other heat loving plants in there.I hope I'm not hogging you post David!
biggrin.gif
Just replying to ChronoKiento's question.

Jerry

Jerry, post away!

This GH is just about as a) I could afford considering the insulation requirements in NY and b) my wife would let me put in the yard.

Not only that, I actually DID get one much larger than I thought I would need (look how empty the poor thing is). That is good advice.

Hey awsome Dave! You can come do mine next!

I would love to go with 16mm polycarb.. but ugh the price.
What are your plants for heating/venting/cooling etc etc etc?

Tony

Venting: two automatic roof vents ("sky lights"), rear window & split front door (you can open just the top part).

Cooling: Evaporative cooler

Heating: Two heaters

Everything is electric, as I have wires already run out to the location from the hot tub I sold. However, unfortunately, the hot tub was on a 220 circuit....I have to have an electrician swith it over to 110 so I can wire up some outlets.

16mm tripple wall, right? Why don't you just use gold?
smile_n_32.gif
smile_m_32.gif

I would certainly help you out with yours.....If you got the same brand! Now that I've gone through the "construction," I feel like an expert!

Ah that's right the 240v.. you might want to keep some of that for a 240v heater. Would help on the bill.. at least I think?? The 240v heaters are more efficient supposedly.

T

You're probably right, Tony, but I've already bought the heaters. So it's a bit late. Also, I don't think that it's that big an issue for a GH my size. For your green mansion, though, I could see it making a difference.

Thats why hydrophonic heating comes into play...even though the furnaces for a typical system cost at least 10K!

It loks like your using the same type of milk househeaters I use Dave. The thermastats on them stink so you mightwant to think about a seperate thermastat fo control them. I built my own. Well my grandfatehr did. uses a standard thermastat for the house to control things. 240 is good, and ight want to be considered in the future. It all depends on how the ones you have do this winter. I have had to use backup heat a couple of times in my GH because temps got too low. The good thing is you can afford to let your temps drop a little more than I could. 55 to 60 is my lowest. Might be able to go lower with some new found tricks after talking to ratcliffe orchids in Fla though this year. Goodluck and I KNOW youwill enjoy it. I go out to mine every morning after work and check on things.

Fantastic greenhouse! Someday I'd love to have one...

Tom

Josh,

I kinda figured those "thermostats" on those heaters wouldn't be very good - they don't have a temp setting, just a high to low dial. Not too helpfull when the outside temerature fuctuates. I'd have to set it every night. No thanks.

I am definately going to get myself a real thermostat.

Mine have the high and low settings but also have a make shift thermastat on them and they were so Variable it was a joke. One night they kept the GH perfect the next night it would be freezing and they were still off. I was just warning you about them since they look like the same ones I have. I can;t wait to see it full of plants! They are so much fun. Even though mine has all kinds of holes in the plastic right now I still visit it every morning and just apprciate the plants. Checking them for bugs and growth. Too bad plants grow so slow that you can;t see it by watching them! LOL

Back