What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

An Idea I've Been Pondering For Some Time

I've been growing my outdoor CPs in pots with extra deep water saucers. They do fine and dandy usually (dormancy has been a problem due to kentucky weather's bipolarity). The main hassle is keeping them all watered during the summer. So I was thinking of another way to grow them. At home there is an old bathtube that is of no real use to us, and I'm wondering how I could turn that into a bog. The main questions would be: "how should I clean it out? How do I go about making drainage for it? How deep should I make the soil? What would be a good way to keep it moist during weeks when there isn't rain?

Thanks for any help.

What kind of tub is it? If it's porcelain or fiberglass, you should be able to just scrub it clean with any appropriate cleaning agent and rinse it thoroughly, as those materials don't take up chemicals very well. If it's a metal tub, you'll have to do some research to make sure that the inside of the tub is sealed properly against corrosion (if water were to get past the sealant, it would be bad for both the tub and your plants.) Plug the bottom drain and put some plastic or vinyl mesh over the overflow drain to keep media from escaping in the event of a flood. Some horticultural charcoal and gravel in the bottom would be good for keeping the mix fresh - for a full sized bathtub you'd probably want at least a few inches. Avoid gravel that will leach minerals into the soil, such as limestone. Then you can use any outdoor mix you like; just peat works fine, or peat cut with sand (again, mineral free - silica or quartz sand works well.) You can use peat and perlite, but be warned that perlite floats and will gradually rise to the top of the mix unless you cover it with several inches of peat or peat/sand. Some people like to add things like pine needles to their CP media - I think it's to maintain the acidity of the soil - but you'll have to do some research on that because I don't know. Fill the tub to a few inches above the overflow drain, so that water won't pool above the soil in the event of a heavy rain. You might consider rigging a rain barrel to the outlet to ease your water needs.
As for keeping it wet in dry weather, just top it off with CP-safe water, such as reverse osmosis or distilled water. In an undrained container with no exposed water column, evaporation should be less of a problem than usual. I can't tell you when to water, though, as I don't use undrained containers outside. I'd imagine you'd want to add water when the first few inches of soil begin to feel less than soggy.
Welcome to the forums!
Best luck,
~Joe

if it was an old porcelain one with the brass clawed feet that would be awesome!

Seedjar's got the right idea. I think it would be a cool bog. Kinda redneckish, but still cool.

lol, redneck never crossed my mind. it makes me think of my flower-child neighbor (she's an old hippie and the coolest lady ever!) with wine bottles hanging out of the tree and a fence made from bicycles
smile_k_ani_32.gif

if you REALLY want hillbilly "chic", use a toilet instead!

Dude... as soon as I fence in my front yard... toilet fountain bog. It'll have a sign that says, "No fertilizer, please."
~Joe

Ha ha ha.  I have accualy sold an old toilet from when I was remodeling my master bath to someone that said he was going to use it for a flower pot!

Sounds like excellent entries in the "Most hideous Planting category", somewhere else.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (CopcarFC @ Sep. 03 2006,9:35)]Seedjar's got the right idea. I think it would be a cool bog. Kinda redneckish, but still cool.
Yah it might seem redneckish, but I've seen it done before. This way I don't have to spend any extra money on buying a container. Plus I think the fact that most of the plants are native to the south, they won't feel too out of place ;)

ITs been done b4, but Not to often, either way Go through with it! will look really neat!

I finally got the materials of the tub. It is procillen with a iron center. I know I'll have to clean it up quite a bit because it has been sitting outside for years collecting water. Would cleaning it out with bleach be fine? As for as sealing the tub any tips? I just remembered that the tub is full sized and has the facuet still on it.

You mean something like this (forgive the ratty look of the plants - it's fall here in SF):
bathtubbog.jpg

I didn't do anything special - I just left the drain like it was (but put a mesh screen over it.) It drains VERY slowly and stays good and wet. I used peat, perlite, and a decent amount of lfs, and filled it to the holes left by the faucet.

Capslock

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JustLikeAPill @ Sep. 03 2006,11:17)]if you REALLY want hillbilly "chic", use a toilet instead!
I'm offended!! I grew up a hillbilly and we had outhouses not toilets!
smile_n_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Capslock @ Sep. 22 2006,11:36)]You mean something like this (forgive the ratty look of the plants - it's fall here in SF):
bathtubbog.jpg

I didn't do anything special - I just left the drain like it was (but put a mesh screen over it.) It drains VERY slowly and stays good and wet. I used peat, perlite, and a decent amount of lfs, and filled it to the holes left by the faucet.

Capslock
Yeah. Something like that. Though unfortunatly the tube I'll be using isn't footed. I really love the claw and ball footing you have there.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (kahnli @ Sep. 22 2006,2:54)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (JustLikeAPill @ Sep. 03 2006,11:17)]if you REALLY want hillbilly "chic", use a toilet instead!
I'm offended!! I grew up a hillbilly and we had outhouses not toilets!
smile_n_32.gif
I'm sorry. Atleast you moved to Connecticut, you hillbilly
smile_n_32.gif

Back