Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Okay- so I bought a heater

Admin- I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az. adnedarn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I've purchased a propane heater and it should be here soon. My next question is this....
    Do I need to divide off the g/h to give the tropical planets (mainly neps) heat.
    Should the tropical plants also get additional morning light (i have a MHlamp) to extend their days?
    Should I just heat the side where these plants are... And if the heat does happen to warm the other side with the temperate planets, they'll be okay?

Thanks
    Andrew
    -Andrew
    Owner of TerraForums, FlyTrapShop.com, and cpforums.org.
    Support FlyTrapShop, support TerraForums! www.flytrapshop.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wait...why would you devide it? the only thing i can answer is the light thing...basically you dont need it... cant neps and other plants survive with increasing and decreasing photoperiods??
    Alex
    Everything is explainable. The seemingly unexplainable is but a result of our insufficient knowledge.- Hans Brewer

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    My goal is to provide the appropriate conditions for both... Letting the temperates go dormant- while keeping the tropicals very happy and in active vigerous growth.
    -Andrew

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, normally you have cold spots in your GH unless you good at circulating the air. How big is your GH again? Normally greenhouses have different temp zones. Thats why multiple thermometers come in handy. Now it may not be enough to achieve what your looking to do though. Have it cold enough to keep some things dormant and others warm enough for vigorous growth. So if the variation in zones is not enough then yeah you could partition the GH. You would want air circulation on both sides and have a few holes in the partition to allow some of the heat to cross over easy. This would allow one side to be warmer than the other, but still keeping both sides above freezing. Now as to the amount of holes and all that jazz your going to have to figure out for yourself on a trial and error basis. It is going to depend on what you use for the partition, and its insulation factor. I am sure you can figure that part out.
    JB
    Friend me on facebook with JB_orchidguy@yahoo.com.
    Growlist Updated 05/08/13

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    the green house is 10ft tall at peak, 8 ft wide and 16ft long. I don't have to worry about keeping it from freezing since outside hits freezing maybe once or thress times for an hour or two each winter. Although, the cooler does need to be able to cool the whole g/h. Our days are still warm enough that without the cooler running it could get well over 100 or 110.
    -Andrew

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does your GH have any exhaust fans in it Andrew? What are your daily temps outside? Are you running any shade cloth? You say your running a cooler is it an air conditioner or an evaporative cooler? If it is an evaporative cooler why didn't you just go with a wet wall? They are simple to make, cost less, cool more, and run in the same principal as a small evaporative cooler. You have the same type of pads only more of them and your either pushing or pulling air through them into the GH and pulling out the hot air. How Humid are you trying to keep the GH? I realize your in AZ, but there is no reason your GH should be still getting into the 100's. Mine did that before I connected the vents and exhaust fan, but since then it barely gets over 90 if that in the GH. I have the exhaust fan and cyclone fan set to come on at 80 and I have 3 other fans running constantly.

OK back to the question at hand. You could setup a permanent partition with the heater on one side and a fan build into the partition to pull colder air from the side with the cooler to the side without the cooler. You set this fan to come on when the cooler comes on so you effectively get cooling on both sides and have the vents for heat to passively leak out into the cold side when the heater is on. If you don't want to go that rout then get yourself another cooler for the one side or install a wet wall to one side and use the cooler to the other. Many different variations and no wrong way to do it. The question is how much do you want to spend.
    JB

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I have no exhaust fans. But I do run a circulation fan. And the "auto open" roof vents are shut so they do not open... Otherwise, they'd never close in my climate Yes, there is shade cloth
    Master cool evaporative cooler, ran by thermostat
    Didn't do a wet wall, cause that wall faces the east, so I'd lose morning sun. I dont' believe a wet wall would do better than my mastercool... It is rated for 1000sq ft. And since it's master cool- it's different pads- these are about 5" thick and made of a cardboard type material. It doesn't get over 100 when the cooler is on. I'm saying in the winter, with no cooler, it will get that hot no probelm.
    I want the humidity in the 60s or so- But so far I havn't found the right settings on my cycle timmer to get that... my min max meter after 24hrs of running shows "hi" for the high and the low is about 30... Still working on that, i just got this cycle timmer a week ago.

I dont' play on running circulation at night. Lets say I move all the tropical plants to one side and temperates to the other. And set the heater to run at night at about 55-60f I figure the other side of the g/h will be 45-50 (winter lows here are about 40) That should be fine for the temperates to go to sleep.. Should it not?

-Andrew

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know about the temps being low enough for the plants to go to sleep. I thoguht they needed to go down into the 40's, but I haven't been growing dorment plants long enough to be accurate with that.

Is your GH a lean to? If it is not then you don't have to put the wetwall on the east side if it is a free standing. Put it on the north side wall. Then again I don;t know how your GH is positioned either. Your auto vents should close at night and open during the day. If it is open all day thats not going to hurt anything thats what they are suposed to do, but I don;t like the autovents anyway. You can get wetwall pads that are 6 inches think if you wanted, and made from the same material as your coolmaster. The wetwall also helps increase the humidity as well. But it is not my GH and these are just sujestions.

You could just do a trial run this year and at the begining of winter if the temps are not getting to your likeing you can adjust it then. I am just a fan of a wetwall because you can have an entire wall of wet wall versus just the small surface area of the cooler.

I always run circ fans 24/7 because at night is when you would get rot set in if it is going too. That is when the temp are cooler and humidity is higher. That is why they say to water orchids in the morning so they are dry by night. I don't nessisarily buy into that because I will water in the evening if I need too since it rains at night in the wild, but I do keep my fans on 24/7. No sence to me to keep the air stagnent at night in my opinion.

When I install my wetwall next spring it is going on the north facing wall and I will be pushing air into a laminar flow ttpe setup that will in turn push through the pads. This should increase the humidity too. I may end up turning off the exhaust fan during the summer and just let the air push out because the air is being pushed though by the wetwall. That way the exhaust fan doesn't suck out the extra humidity. That can tend to be a problem if your sucking air through the pads with an exhaust fan. A friend of mine has that problem so she runs a fogger to try to increase humidity.

Have you had this GH running in the peak summer yet? I can see a problem with the sun convecting more heat in the GH than the cooler can cool. It is like running the heater and AC at the same time in your house and your heater is bigger than your AC. Smaller GHs are harder to keep in check with temps than larger GHs since the air inside them heats up faster than a in a larger GH.

So I hope someone else chimes in because your setup is nothing like I would do it, and nothing like I have seen. Even the big conservatory in ATL vented their GH to the outside to exhaust the heat in the peak. They didn't in the highland area, but they had an elaborate underground wetwall type system to keep it cool. But that goes back to the two setup option too and how much do you plan on spending.
    JB

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast