Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bad perlite?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only perlite Lowe's had was Miracle-Gro brand, is that going to be bad for my plants?

It says..

Total Nitrogen: .04%
    Available Phosphate: .01%
    Soluble Potash: .06%

The lady there said those were really low levels, so I thought it might be okay. I can take it back if it's ucky.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know exactly what levels are good and what aren't, but I wouldn't risk using it
    Z polski y dumny
    Prayer - how to do nothing and still think you're helping.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F5aCUNE4Z8
    ^^^Newest vid

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Poop. Where else would be a good place to buy Perlite? Or a similar substance that I could use?

This was all Lowe's had.

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ambellina check your other thread and especially my FIRST link of making my terrarium. That has pictures of the exact products I used. The perlite was fine..BUT DO NOT GET THAT PEAT...I REPEAT...DO NOT BUY THAT BRANDED PEAT MOSS....ONLY get the regular compressed bale WHICH HAS NO ADDITIVES.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Home depot, almost any nursery or lawn-and-garden store.
    Secretary, New England Carnivorous Plant Society (NECPS) http://www.necps.org/
    Member, International Carnivorous Plant Society (ICPS)
    Member, North American Sarracenia Conservancy (NASC)
    Member, The Carnivorous Plant Society (CPS)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The peat I got was American something or other brand. I didn't see anything about there being fert in it, I guess I'll find out when I open it.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to TF! Perlite is just one of the many media that people use.... or choose NOT to use. Since many CP's grow in a nutrient poor soil, the basic idea to provide a media that doesn't have salts or fertilizers. What plants are you wanting to cultivate? For CP's, it is the texture properties that are important. Some are designed to drain well. Others are for water retention. Other good media are sand (like pool filter sand), sphagnum peat (in the 2.2 or 3.8 bales), LFS (small bags of Long Fibred Sphagnum). I'm not a big Perlite user, mainly sticking with mixing sand & peat, with LFS on top, but many people who grow Asian pitcher plants use Perlite, and or peat and orchid bark, needles.....

Do you have a Home Depot nearby? Or a Walmart? We can also mail you some if absolutely necessary!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It just sounded like one of the most common ones people use - so I figured I'd go ahead with that. I'll have to look for something else if I can't find good stuff though. I have D. capensis on it's way to me now, but I also want to grow:

Any pygmy Drosera
    D. binata (But I just read that this needs dormancy, whereas before I was under the impression that it didn't - so I dunno)
    H. minor
    A few pretty butterworts
    And I was going to do U. sandersonii but now some people are saying it's very invasive? So I don't know about that one anymore either. Boo.

I'll go out and check Home Depot and Walmart tomorrow morning (working today ) and hopefully I find SOMETHING useful.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast