Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Electronic Ballasts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A friend had some spare GE-432-Max-N/Ultra electronic ballasts. Each one can light 4 lamps.

Something like this:

It's not exactly the same wiring. Mine has:

Black/White wire on left side. Blue/Yellow/Red wires on the right side.

What is the way you go about setting this up? Do I have to buy a fixture to mount the ballast to? How do I plug this thing into the wall and connect it to the tubes ? Any help or guides would be nice, I know some wiring stuff but never did anything like this. Thanks!
    James 1:17

"Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your answers are in this link: Overdriving Fluorescent Lights. You will need to search out the information you need from what is there, but I've read the entire site and I know your answer is there.
    Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmm...

Do you suppose I could just dismantle my cheap $9 shoplights I have now that are magnetic-ballasts? Hook up the electronic-ballast to the medium bi-pin sockets, and hook up the AC plug to the leads on the electronic ballast as well? That way I can still use the fixture. I can mount the electronic ballast on the outside. Only question is can I use one AC plug two light 4 bulbs?

"Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like what I would do.

Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Joe for all the info. I'll take a crack at it soon!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Be careful. Last night I had two fixtures, the real cheap kind with independent circuitry for each lamp, both had one set of circuitry that had burnt out, so I was removing the working parts and inserting them into the carcass of another fixture, in order to create a fixture with two working lamps. I got the first one transferred and working, but forgot to unplug the fixture before I proceeded to complete the transfer of the second set of working parts. After I had finished the second transfer, I reached over to plug the fixture into the socket. Ooops, I had neglected to unplug it and my heart raced for a few minutes as I contemplated what might have happened to me. I'm lucky I didn't discover my oversight in a more alarming and uncomfortable fashion.
    Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hehe. I opened up one shoplight and things are making more sense now. Except for that these GE ballasts only have 6 wires!

Left side: Black/White = Line (no problem there...)
    Right side: Red/Red/Yellow & Blue/Blue/Yellow (hrm...)

There's a diagram of the ballast wiring here:
    http://www.gelighting.com/na....tra.pdf

Would this be correct way to rig this then:

For the first 2 lamps, split the red wire into 4 total wires. Connect these to the right medium bi-pin sockets. Take the yellow wire from that group and split it in 4 wires? Then take those wires and connect them to the left bi-pin sockets.

Then repeat the same process for the next 2 lamps except they'll be on the blue wire instead of the red.

Is this correct? The dots on the diagram are throwing me off.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The dots indicate where wires are spliced together.

The yellow gets split into 4 and goes to the 4 pins on the left side of 2 lamps(2pins/lamp) One red wire gets split into 4 and goes to the 4 pins on the left side of the other two tubes.

Now for the opposite (right side).
    Each blue wire, should be three, gets split into 2 and goes to the the 2 pins on the right side of a single tube. Same thing for the other red wire. The diagram shows blue opposite each yellow and one blue and one red opposite the red.
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast