Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New to terrariums and CPs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (JustLikeAPill @ Dec. 21 2006,8:38)]Lol, one more thing. I suggest you (and everyone else who reads this) get The Savage Garden by Peter D'amato and Growing Carnivorous Plants by Barry Rice.
    Quite possibly the best thing anyone can do who wants to grow these plants successfully.
    Should probably be a pre-requisite really...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (Victoria @ Dec. 21 2006,8:26)]I will of course have 4 full spectrum lights over the tank (unless you all let me know that will not be enough at all.....) to help.
    I find the cool-whites to be superior, supposedly they put out more lumens or whatever and that's what the plants are really looking for. I heard it somewhere and it's been working for me.
    I use 2 fixtures, 4 bulbs total and my King Sundews are oozing with goo.

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like to go with the highest kelvin temperature I can. It's just my preference.

None of those 20,000K's though hehe. I believe everything from 5,000-10,000K is good. It's just personal preference. The more red spectrum, the more it induces flowers. The more blue, the more it induces foliage growth.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (JustLikeAPill @ Dec. 22 2006,9:55)]N. ramispina, ventricosa, ventrata, miranda, sanguinea, spathulata, maxima should all grow well for you. Those are just a few.

And the pitchers look totally different once they reach the vining stage of their life
    dont forget many many hybrids! just about anything bred with ventricosa or maxima will also do well in your house. those that JLAP mentioned are only a handful and MANY MANY more nepenthes if not most have the possibility or being good houseplants. the member elgecko grows N. hamata, which has a pretty bad reputation for being picky, as a windowsil plant! it has some evil pitchers and is vining! the point is that ALMOST(with a few exceptions) any nepenthes can grow in an environment unlike its own in its environment. ive seen the extremes of N. Bicalcarata(likes it hot and humid) and N. Hamata(likes it cool and humid) grown inside the home. PM me if ya got any questions. i also have a website you could use to find good windowsill nepenthes.

Alex
    Everything is explainable. The seemingly unexplainable is but a result of our insufficient knowledge.- Hans Brewer

The ignorance of man stains the land! Victoria's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got ahold of the library in town and they are trying to order the books in for me, hopefully they can get them.

Our bulbs are 5500K so I will start with them and upgrade when possible. The bulbs have lots of red and blue in them so they should do fine....I hope. I dont know anything about lighting so Im not sure what "cool whites" are but I will ask Jeremy and he can fill me in, we might have some in storage.

I havent read anything about hybrids yet so i will do a websearch when I get some more time.

Thanks again for all the help it is greatly appreciated!
    Victoria
    They are slowly and painfully killing you.....did you know that?

How brainwashed are you?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those lamps are fine. The higher the K the more blue is all. I like blue so try to aim as high as I can.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (glider14 @ Dec. 22 2006,12:02)]
    Quote[/b] ] i also have a website you could use to find good windowsill nepenthes.

Alex
    Hi Alex, could you please post the website URL for this? thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think he's talking about nepenthesaroundthehouse.com/

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast