What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Got the shelf :D

Jeez, you're right! What would normally be 99 cents is now 10 bucks!

-Ben

I stuck a kinda cheap (5 buck) thermometer and hygrometer on the shelf next to my Nepenthes. As far as I can tell (from two days), the temp in the daytime tends to be around 70-75, and 60-65 at night (these temps are only if I leave the heating vent closed, other wise, the temps shoot around all the time as the heat comes on and off, though I always leave it closed at night). The humidity (with the heating vent closed) seems to stabalize around 40%-50% in the day, and maybe 60%-65% at night. I still have to observe it a little more, and these readings are probably different for my shorter shelf with the dews and pings, but the bulbs don't really make much heat at all, so I don't think they're too much of a factor.

So, my question is, what plants would enjoy growing here besides the "weeds"? Would N. ramispina do ok here, especially if I added another fixture with two bulbs to the nep shelf? Could D. cisitflora grow here?

Thanks,
-Ben

Update

dscn2533.jpg

Plants that I want to control the water table of:
DSCN2534.jpg

D. admirabilis:
DSCN2536.jpg

D. tokaiensis:
DSCN2537.jpg

P. 'Sethos':
DSCN2538.jpg

D. binata seedlings (emerging from dormancy):
DSCN2540.jpg

P. 'Huahuapan':
DSCN2541.jpg

D. scorpioides:
DSCN2542.jpg

-Ben

Looking great Drosera36, love the P. 'Sethos'. Keep up the good work

Jayson.

Nice setup and plants indeed.

Does your camera have a fluorescent lighting mode? Your photos will probably not come out as blue/cyan if it does.

Thanks.

Yeah, right now I think it's in incandescent. But, I sort of like that blue hue.

-Ben

If the tubes are balanced for daylight, daylight mode might work better. Experiment, you can always delete the image from the camera.

The many colors of P. 'Sethos'

Incandescent:
incandescent.jpg

Fluorescent:
fluorescent.jpg

Daylight:
daylight.jpg

Cloudy:
cloudy.jpg

I think it's interesting how one plant can look so many different colors just by changing the settings on my camera. It looks pretty though.
biggrin.gif

-Ben

Just an update.

Well, I went to the hydroponic place, and they have a lot of cool stuff. Including trays:
dscn2547.jpg

And I repotted the N. x ventrata, and cut away the vining stems:
DSCN2548.jpg

dscn2549.jpg

Look who joined the party! (Senecio articulatus):
dscn2550.jpg

-Ben

Get transparent vinyl shower curtains, and put them up with cable ties to form a humidity hood. Then you can use another piece of plastic to cover the top. It will keep the humidity quite high.

Get transparent vinyl shower curtains, and put them up with cable ties to form a humidity hood. Then you can use another piece of plastic to cover the top. It will keep the humidity quite high.
I told you, Ben! lol.

xvart.

Lol, I don't think my plants really care about that, because, you guessed it, it's time for another update!

Pretty much the same plants.

D. binata:
dscn2562.jpg

D. capensis 'Giant':
DSCN2563.jpg

P. 'Sethos':
DSCN2568.jpg

D. admirabilis:
dscn2570.jpg

-Ben

D. scorpioides:
DSCN2571.jpg

P. 'Huahuapan':
DSCN2572.jpg

-Ben

very nice! i have been planning to do somthing like this for a while. until now i didnt have any money. i will probably get a shelf for my birthday and then ill buy the lights i need. what are the measurements of your shelf?
Alex

Thanks.

I dunno, something like 7' tall, 4' long, 17" wide.

-Ben

very nice! i plan to get a shelf on my birthday so ill have somthing similar to yours. what are the dimensions of the shelf?
Alex

ok...thats a little weird. i didnt see my post come up. i typed a new one though.
MODS can delete these 2 last posts. this one and the copy.
Alex

Dang! Your D. binata is really springing up fast! It's growing like a beast!

xvart.

Lol, yeah, it's pretty crazy.

-Ben

your plants are coloring up nice.
is the shelf unit you have 48 inches wide?
when I looked at lowes, home depot, walmart websites, all I could find was 36 in. shelfs.
peace,
Zero

Back