Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 20 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Got the shelf :D

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arrow

Ok, so I got a huge shelf for Christmas, and I've got one fixture with two four foot 40w 5000k bulbs, with around 2200 lumens. I've sort of mounted it, more like hung it (it came with chains, so I shortened them to two links, then hung it on the shelf). Now what?

Right now, the plants are about 5 inches from the light. Is this too close? I was planning on adding another fixture on the shelf because of the crud-load of space.

Pic (only two plants up there so far )

(That's a north facing window)

Many thanks,
    -Ben
    He who can, does. He who can't, teaches. -George Bernard Shaw
    I love these shirts!!!
    My Growlist
    My Webpage

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    tell me how this works out. my room only has a north facing window and i can only grow plants in my room. my 2 terrariums are almost filled. i would use some of those compact flourescents maby 2 per rack.
    Alex
    Everything is explainable. The seemingly unexplainable is but a result of our insufficient knowledge.- Hans Brewer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awsome shelf, It looks like the same one that i got last christmas. It works really well because you can move the shelves up and down. Dont think the plants are to close, I just moved my 55gal on one of my shelves works great. And dont worry you will soon run out of space.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, thanks. This is enough light, right? lol, I kinda always get worried 'bout stuff like this.

Here's a pic of the whole shelf:

-Ben
    I love these shirts!!!
    My Growlist
    My Webpage

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Definitely get another fixture. I use four tubes (two fixtures) on all my shelves. I use that exact unit - I have three of them. If you get ambitious later, you can use t5 fixtures on there, too. Those REALLY put out light. But four tubes of regular fluorescents will let you grow anything on there. And for drosera and pings, if anything you're too far away. But that distance is good for a lot of plants so I'd keep it. And fill up the shelves!! Get some of those black garden flats and you can hold tons of plants on a shelf.

In this photo, the shelf below the neps is where my drosera are. It's about the same height as yours is. The nep shelf is obviously much taller.

Capslock
    Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

My photos are copyright-free and public domain

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice! I'd suggest devoting one shelf to very short plants and keeping the lights as close as possible to the pots for plants that grow on the surface of the soil. Then the lights will still be close enough to the shelf below to light taller plants. If you shop around you can find 4' two-bulb shoplights for $10 a piece, so it shouldn't be too expensive for you to light as many shelves as you need.
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Admin- I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az. adnedarn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I used to use the same thing. I used 3 sets of shop light fixtures (6 bulbs) on each shelf. Here is a picture of it lit up...

I used tubs to put the plants in, so I could just fill a few tubs and water everything, it was nice to just grab one and pull it out to inspect/admire the plants too.
    -Andrew
    Owner of TerraForums, FlyTrapShop.com, and cpforums.org.
    Support FlyTrapShop, support TerraForums! www.flytrapshop.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, thanks for all the help guys. I moved the shelf up 2 inches higher, so I think that should do it. My birthday is coming up, so I think that many more plants should appear....

I spent 30 bucks on that one fixture and bulbs, it's about 20 bucks per fixture. I have no more money now...

I don't think I'll be able to fit more than two of those on one shelf, since it's about 15 inches wide, and each fixture is 6 inches wide. I can't wait til my neps get as big as yours, Capslock! Speaking of neps, mine have been in very low light for the past 2 months or so, and they haven't been growing much, but they're still perky, so how would I go about putting them on the shelf without frying them?

-Ben
    I love these shirts!!!
    My Growlist
    My Webpage

Page 1 of 20 1234511 ... LastLast