What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Terrarium germs?

I have a question - Do you think that an ultrasonic fogger in a terrarium could expose people to germs?  I'm basing this on the fact that large (room-type) ultrasonic foggers have to be cleaned out periodically to avoid microbial build-up that would then be sprayed right into the room.

Well, it seems like my terrarium may be doing the exact same thing - I've got the fogger sitting in water at the bottom of the terrarium, and when it comes on, the fan that circulates the fog causes a portion of this fog to come shooting out the ventilation gap in the lid.  So I believe that depending on how close I’m standing to the terrarium, I could be breathing in everything that’s in the water.

Still, I haven’t heard of anyone else with this problem, so is this not a hazard?

Thanks!

Microbes are too heavy as far as I know to be trainsported by steam. But none the less, I wouldn't worry about that at all. I think usually foggers are supposed to be cleaned out because of salt and mineral build up from tap water.

-Ben

Most ultrasonic foggers do not produce steam. They usually produce a fine mist of water at the ambient temperature. Steam is water in a gaseous state when water is heated to >=100C (212F) at sea level.

Don't worry about it. We'd all be dead by now if there was a problem
smile.gif

Speaking of germs, I'm trying out Phil Sheridan's method of growing Aldrovanda's in my LowLand chamber in my apartment.
The method is to use mud from a pond, associate plants and decaying matter.
Well when I set this all up, before everything settled in the tank I saw all sortsa funky thingy's growing in there, some pretty gross shtuff too.
Like little, thin worms that swam in a spiral, corkscrew matter. That just screamed "PARASITES" to me.
Seems to be okay now but I hope I didn't just set-up a breeding ground for disease in my apartment....
Guess we'll see!

I'd clean the humidifier regularly to prevent it from becoming a breeding ground for algae and other organisms that will become a big nasty mess when you do get around to cleaning.

You inhale thousands of bacteria, pollen grains, dust, virus particles, and mold spores with every breath, usually irregardless of whether you're outside or inside. The cleanest houses have innumerable bacteria on almost every surface. Most of these bacteria are harmless to your body and those that aren't (pathogens) are typically dispatched quickly by your immune system or die because they cannot live on or in your body.

That said, you want to follow the manufacturer's instructions for cleaning the humidifier so that its not a haven for mold and mildew, which can cause health problems (e.g., allergies, asthma, and respiratory infections) for some people, especially if chronically exposed to them.

Hey, thanks everyone for the replies.  Part of the problem is that the fogger is just one of those little disc foggers, not a drugstore ultrasonic humidifier, so I don't think there are any manufacturer's recommendations on keeping the water clean.  I do agree that it's probably not a big problem, though, at not least short-term.

However, I think that I will be installing a waterproof fan inside the terrarium to keep all the fog inside it as best as possible.  Shouldn't be an issue then, and I'll have to replace less water that way anyway.

Back