Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Playsand?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you can get larger sized silica sand, and just use that on a fine mesh. I would go for the hose thing though but you want to mix it a little bit too, and get the stuff that might have settled in w/ the current.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've found "play sand" to be too fine and it makes the mix too dense and chokes the roots. It also contains salts and, depending on where it came from, may contain small bits of shell which slowly release lime, regardless of how well you initially wash it.

I use regular pool filter (quartz, silica) sand for most of my CPs. It's cheap, easy to find, coarser than "play sand," and best of all--inert. Why mess with play sand when there's a alternative that's just as easy to find and guaranteed to be inert?

For cephs and drosophyllum, I use coarser quartz sand (~1-2mm Jersey #1 or #2 sand).

Hope this helps,

Ken
    Secretary, New England Carnivorous Plant Society (NECPS) http://www.necps.org/
    Member, International Carnivorous Plant Society (ICPS)
    Member, North American Sarracenia Conservancy (NASC)
    Member, The Carnivorous Plant Society (CPS)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only "play sand" I've seen at my local supply centers, upon reading the fine print, was composed of, "calcium carbonate". I might be able to use a little in some Mexican Pinguicula media, but, certainly not for other CP.
    Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to not wash sand, untill I washed it and saw how much useless crap was in there.

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can get silica sand in different grades from sand blasting companies/supplier. I don't know what the smallest size bag you can get though. You definitely have to wash sand blasting stuff.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just recently I bought 2 bags of pure silica sand, sold at my local sand-blasting supply store, all they sell are different sands and other substances used for sand-blasting. I purchased one bag of size 16 grit, the largest particle size they had, and one bag of size 90 grit, the smallest size they had, the #90 is almost like dust or silt. Both bags are 100 lbs of sand each. Both sides of each bag have extensive labelling that warns never to use the sand for sand-blasting, and etc. etc. etc., how extremely hazardous it is to inhale any dust from the sand. I asked the salesman what the deal was. He said the only thing he knew that the sand was used for was, sand-blasting, that the companies that produced the sand had to label it like that to avoid liability.

I told him what I planned to use the sand for, and he thought that was quite interesting. I also mentioned how I had purchased my last batch of silica sand, for the same purpose, from his store, a little more than 10 years before. A little goes a long way.
    Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12