Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Next step from Normal Fluorescents

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    my sundews just aren't doing well. all my other plants are happy, but my dews always lose their color.

right now im using dual 48" fluorescent fixtures running 2 40 watt "natural sunlight" bulbs each.

whats the next step up from fluorescent? i dont want to move to metal halide quite yet, and theres gotta be something less extreme then that, right?

if i were ruler of the world, anyone who defined a nepenthene as a "companion plant" to orchids would be fired from a cannon atop mt. kinabalu.

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    HO but not many people use those (except for T5's) then PC and VHO.

Or you could get 2 more NO's. You also don't mention how far away they are. They should be pretty close.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My personal opinion:"Natural Sunlight" and other special, high-priced fluorescent lamps, can sometimes be attractive, or interesting in other ways, but are a waste of $$ when it comes to plant growing.

How many lamps, how close together, how far from the plants, how many plants, what size plants, how long the lights are left on (day cycle) -- you have provided very little of this critical information. I grow all of mine under cheap (less than $1 each) cool white fluorescent lamps, 4 feet long, in dual lamp fixtures. All of my plants that I am able to position where I'd like them, in relation to the lamps, are very highly colored, depending on their natural propensity to do so. Of course, sometimes there isn't enough space to position all the plants in appropriate light levels, so I sometimes rotate them to different positions.

Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, I grow lots of dews under the same cheap lights Joseph uses, and they grow fantastically! Of course, they're just a couple-three inches under the lights. If you can't put them that close, consider Fluorex fixtures or t5 fluorescents.

Capslock
    Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

My photos are copyright-free and public domain

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Meaven,

In addition to the other factors already mentioned, there's a wide difference between 48" 40 watt T-12 bulbs as far as light output (lumens) and color temperature. If you take a look here you can see the variety. Here's just a few:

1,360 - "Plant"
    1,900 - "Plant and Aquarium"
    1,720 - "Bright Daylight"
    2,025 - "Daylight"
    3,150 - "Cool White" ($2 a bulb)
    3,050 - "Daylight"
    3,400 - "Warm White"

From this short list you can see a tube that may be like Joseph's "Cool White" puts out more than twice the light of a "Plant" tube.

joe002

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    my dews sit about 3-4 inches below the lights, with a 18-hour photoperiod.

i do use 2 "plant" bulbs. take them out, and replace with them cool white i have sitting around, i assume?
    if i were ruler of the world, anyone who defined a nepenthene as a "companion plant" to orchids would be fired from a cannon atop mt. kinabalu.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Envirolites Compact Fluorescents all the way! Though I'm not sure they're available across the pond.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Meaven @ Jan. 05 2007,1:45)]i do use 2 "plant" bulbs. take them out, and replace with them cool white i have sitting around, i assume?
    Yeah, should be that simple.

As an experiment, you could temporarily just switch out one of your “plant” bulbs with one of your “cool white” bulbs. When you turn on your fixture you should see a noticeable difference between the light output between the bulbs - assuming the “plant” bulb is only 1/2 the output of your “cool white” bulb. If the two bulbs have different color temperatures then one bulb may look “blue” while the other may look “pink”.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast