User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: balancing circulation with humidity.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i just got a fan for my terrarium, which has been long overdue.

i've been keeping my terrarium totally sealed to keep the humidity in (i like to keep it over 80%).

does a fan need an open terrarium to serve its purpose to the plants, or does just circulating the air in the terrarium do the trick?

if it does need outside air, how will i keep the humidity high inside the terrarium?
    if i were ruler of the world, anyone who defined a nepenthene as a "companion plant" to orchids would be fired from a cannon atop mt. kinabalu.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fans can largely serve two purposes: to circulate the air in the terrarium or reduce the heat.

A fan in an enclosed terrarium will circulate air but will not reduce temperatures.

A fan outside the terrarium blowing air across a light ballast will (possibly) reduce the temperature in the terrarium.

All depends on what you mean by "serve its purpose to the plants." If the former then, yes, your fan is, but not if the latter.
    Secretary, New England Carnivorous Plant Society (NECPS) http://www.necps.org/
    Member, International Carnivorous Plant Society (ICPS)
    Member, North American Sarracenia Conservancy (NASC)
    Member, The Carnivorous Plant Society (CPS)

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ditto what Ken says. I'm just curious as to why you wish to maintain such a high humidity. Most CP's don't require that much humidity and a sealed environment is a setup for potential problems. Not that I am going to suggest a pot in a dish of water, but in theory, the open tray method provides pretty much what most CP's need, with respect for "local" humidity. If I had to err on one side or the other, I'd do so on the side of having more air circulation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]Ditto what Ken says. I'm just curious as to why you wish to maintain such a high humidity. Most CP's don't require that much humidity and a sealed environment is a setup for potential problems. Not that I am going to suggest a pot in a dish of water, but in theory, the open tray method provides pretty much what most CP's need, with respect for "local" humidity. If I had to err on one side or the other, I'd do so on the side of having more air circulation.
    Now I have to agree with what Jim said! Almost all of my CPs have done much better on grow racks (open tray) than in a terrarium. The exception is N.ampullaria.
    Secretary, New England Carnivorous Plant Society (NECPS) http://www.necps.org/
    Member, International Carnivorous Plant Society (ICPS)
    Member, North American Sarracenia Conservancy (NASC)
    Member, The Carnivorous Plant Society (CPS)

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like terrariums 'cause they're pretty