Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Mylar Vs. Foil

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    bulbs:

2-40w GE Chroma 50

2-40w Sylvania Tri-Phosphor Gro-Lux F40/GRO/AQ/RP (Note: Not their wide spectrum Gro-Lux)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, that is a REALLY big difference. o.o The after picture is AFTER you added reflection, right?

It's going to be such a pain to pick out the lights for my plant shelf so many different kinds and so many different numbers to remember, lumens and whatnot.
    Growlist
    I'm back?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chrono,

Don't get too hung up on lumens... that is a measurement of visible light intensity, the F40/GRO/AQ/RP bulbs have a very low lumen rating and will appear quite dim. But they are sending out all kinds of light energy that the plant can "see"... not us

Av

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use emergency blankets for hikers. They're mylar.

Foil and mylar have similar reflective abilities but mylar is not as easily ripped (though it is fragile) and easier to work with since it comes in big sheets whereas foil doesn't.

I put mylar around 3 of the 4 sides of my growracks. I use foil-coated tape to hold it to the growrack that looks exactly like mylar, so that the tape doesn't show.

Ken

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think when the time comes I'll probably just order my mylar from scientifics online since there won't be any creases. Do you guys keep the front part of your grow-shelf open? Like.. no mylar just a shower curtain for humidity? A mylar shower curtain would be handy there. :P
    Growlist
    I'm back?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    av8tor1,
    what is the spray glue you use called?
    do you just spray it on the whole underside of the light fixture?
    also, is there any fire hazard to your method?
    I have been thinking I should of bought the steel fixtures for alittle more $ but glueing mylar to it seems like a great fix.
    thanks for the idea.
    Peace,
    Zero

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Zero,

It is Elmer's "Craft Bond" acid free multi purpose spray adhesive...

and I made sure i kept the vents open at the ballast...

curious.. what fixtures do you have?... I havent seen any non-metallic ones at wally world, mine are the electronic ballast (for cold starts) stainless steel finish model 8055ss, ive used them for several years and had just one fail

I cant even build my own with a cold start ballast for as cheap as wal mart has them, but their "stainless steel" finish is a joke when it comes to effciency

I wouldnt use mylar for anything other then fluorescent!!!

HTH's
    Av

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    oops, I didnt answer all your questions...

yes, I just spray the entire surface and lay the mylar down carefully. I'll warn ya... have someone help or you will get bubbles and wrinkles.. and even then I still do, but I dont worry about them... not pretty but you will be surprised at the diff.

Mylar relfects infrared really well and the plant lights I use put out a lot of energy just above what we can see in the red spectrum, plants can use this energy the most effciently..

so you should see a diff in your plants regardless of bulb choice,

If i had tons of money I would buy the beautiful, sexy and highly effcient TEK brand T5 fixtures with the german reflectors but omg 200-400$ for a fluorescent light ahhhhh no

Av

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast