Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Mylar Vs. Foil

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can buy a roll of self-adhesive metallic tape from auto supply stores that people use as trim on their cars/trucks. This is a foil and is a lot easier than messing around with spray adhesives that you have to mask off. Spray tends to get into places you don't want it.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks for the info
    av8tor1, I have the lights of america or american lights white fixtures, came in the red lettered box next to the stainless steel fixtures with the blue lettering. the white was cheaper then the steel so I got the white ones. around $7

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Spray on glue, eh? I could have some fun with that. >: ) Just kidding..

So these light fixtures do you guys buy them online or at like Home Depot? Hard to find good fixtures at places like that around here... then again I haven't looked but... y'know... those places are HUGE!

I have no idea what kind of lights or fixtures to get.. all the numbers and stuff I read just don't sink it. >_>
    Growlist
    I'm back?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chrono,

Zero and I are talking Wal-Mart, where hillbillies shop and go to meet new women LOL, (now before i get nasty emails I am a hillbilly and proud of it, so just smile )

I chose the model I did (stainless steel with blue lettering model 8055ss) because my set up is in a unheated basement, Mine must have a cold start ballast (-20f rating)... temps in my basement can get pretty chilly during the winter 40-50ish (f) if below zero outside

I think lowes carries the same fixture as well.... not sure

yep they do

Av

(Chrono, regular fixtures will struggle if it gets much below 60, if you expect cool or cold temps go with the cold temp ballast... and I havent tried it but you might be able to "overclock" them and make them much brighter... I dont know for sure if the Lights america fixture can be done, but it is a technique where you the unused output of a 4 bulb ballast and put them in parallel with the 2 that are being used, boosting the secondary current levels... i think, its been a while since i was researching it... google it )
    Last edited by Av8tor1; 01-26-2007 at 03:14 PM. Reason: add comment

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    some basic info on overclocking/overdriving fluorescent fixtures

caveat, If you dont have an electrical/electronic background then leave this alone... you only die once

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the comment about the GFI protecting him, well ahh it more then likely wont if you get shocked by the output of the ballast, since the secondary output is probably isolated from L1 and ground

just thought i would mention that LOL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow! You guys use THOSE kinds of light fixtures?! Wow. o.o I can't believe they fit on a plant shelf like that. Looks like I'm going to have to clear out more room than I had planned. It also looks like Tuesday is going to be a driving day. I printed out the shopping list from the plantshelf tutorial so I have a reference.. thinking of writing down the stats that my lights should be like lumens and whatnot. Then I need to remember to get some mylar and a shower curtain.

I've never heard of overclocking lightbulbs before. Only computers. :P I'd rather not start a fire or electrecute myself so I think I'm not going to touch that.

Thanks for all the info!

Oh wait I have one more question... how long do those light bulbs last?
    Growlist
    I'm back?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    they weaken with age, so replace at least yearly... I stagger mine so I replace half at 6 month intervals

Av

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast