Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Mylar Vs. Foil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Mylar Vs. Foil

On my terrarium I have foil lining it and I've read that a lot of people use mylar which has brought up the question of whether mylar is better or just easier to work with. I used foil just because that's all I have right now but if mylar is better than I'll definately be looking to upgrade.

So which is better... mylar or foil? Or are they both the same?
    Growlist
    I'm back?

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's better and easier to work it. Foil actually diffuses light instead of reflecting most of it.

I heard that a "reflector" made from something smooth painted white is better than foil.

I think you can buy stuff in an aerosol can that sprays on glass, and then you turn the glass over and it's like a mirror finish. Spray on mylar I guess.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I go to wally world and buy my Mylar, (really my only option, small town america) go to the camping supplies and get one of the "Emergency Blankets"... dirt cheap, but it will have the creases in it

I also get the spray glue from the wally world craft aisle and line the inside of my reflectors with it,

cheap and effective, you will notice the difference as soon as you turn the lights back on

Cheers'
    Av
    Last edited by Av8tor1; 01-22-2007 at 09:44 PM. Reason: hmmm aisle..isle... hmmm LOL

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

two or three dollars usually,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i covered my petiolaris tank with Mylar and it works well. all the light just bounces all over the place and the plants love it!!
    Peter.
    Please check my website for photos:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/minicatt/sets

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm where can you get just plain mylar though? I know exactly where I can get emergency blankets but I didn't know they were made of mylar.
    Growlist
    I'm back?

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChronoKiento View Post
    Hmm where can you get just plain mylar though? I know exactly where I can get emergency blankets but I didn't know they were made of mylar.
    Do a google search on "mylar sheeting" or something similar. For the about price you'd pay for a 3 or 4 feet at an aquarium store you can get a 55in by 25 foot roll. You can get the thick 4 mil stuff that's black coated on one side for zero light leakage if you want.

Or try a hydroponics supply store.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use white posterboard. $3.59 f/10 sheets and I only used 4 for a 95 gal. tank, might double em up though and I have the glossy side facing in the tank.
    Duct taped em to the outside of the tank on the back and two ends.
    Lemme tell ya, it is Bright! Reflects better than any mirrored stuff, looks better and is cheaper.
    I also use white shower curtains on three sides of my grow chamber and that is bright as the sun too! Hurts my eyes to look into the thing...

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast