Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Circulating Bogs: How-to

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, nice setup, explaination, pics (they loaded fine)! I'm probably gonna get off my lazy bum and build one for next year's usage!

This thread should be pinned (just my opinion.....)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I understand that the water is still falling inside the reservoir but it seems that with a closed reservoir there is no extra oxygen to oxygenate the falling water (after that which is trapped in there all goes into solution). I am just wondering about this because I like the closed design (it's tidy) -- am I being dense about something? Isn't that how water gets oxygenated, by falling through oxygenated air?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]I understand that the water is still falling inside the reservoir but it seems that with a closed reservoir there is no extra oxygen to oxygenate the falling water (after that which is trapped in there all goes into solution). I am just wondering about this because I like the closed design (it's tidy) -- am I being dense about something? Isn't that how water gets oxygenated, by falling through oxygenated air?
    Water doesn't "like" absorbing oxygen, but having oxygen is beneficial to us; oxygen is added any number of ways depending on your setup, but the contant is that the water needs to be agitated to get oxygen to be absorbed. It can be added when drainage water falls in to the reservoir, when the water exits the tubing (spray, splash,) etc. So, hypothetically, even if there was no drop, oxygen can still be added to the system.

In the case of Bugweed's: There is a section cut out of the large white pot. Having a hole in the side in that type of setup allows for easy addition of water (because water DOES evaporate and is lost from a circulating system, don't underestimate that fact!) And unless the the orange and white pot in Bug's setup were to create an airtight seal (which you'd have to try really hard to do) the water would be oxygenated even without the hole in the side of the container because air can still be exchanged freely. In any event, you want a hole in the side simply for ease of adding water.

That last bit answers your question, right?

BTW, I can take more pictures of my setup at any point, so if you'd like to see a pictorial/video form of something as opposed to textual, let me know. I can be wordy at times and it may expedite the answering of questions.
    \(_o)/ ಠ_ಠ
    My Growlist
    NASC Website Come join in on the fun!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thread stickied. Circulating water does work better than the plain old tray system, and inhibits rot in your rhizome. There will be more elaboration on this subject, should anyone be interested.
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Not sure what happened to the topic title. Fixed it to something that makes some sense.
    \(_o)/ ಠ_ಠ
    My Growlist
    NASC Website Come join in on the fun!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great explanation. But how does one implement this system if one has many, many plants in many, many pots. Clearly Bugweed has many plants...so there must be a way. The obvious way is to have a seperate pump for each reservoir. Doesn't it get tedious having so many pumps and tubes? I mean how many tubes can you attach to a pump? And...do you keep the pumps running water 24/7?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Manny, the pump runs 24/7. Tough pump that spews 60 GPH. Unlike Est's set-up, the tube in mine feeds directly below the soils surface. Also, I use a high grade weedblock cloth under the soil to prevent soil cantaminants from dripping down into the water resorvoir. Since Est and I are planning to build the Bugweed style bog garden, you will see how I do it. I have suffered NO rot since I started using this system, and the fact that the soil gets oxygenated has had a fantastic effect on the growing of some of my plants. A healthy bog requires no repotting! LOL!! There will be a full report on this also written for the CPN and the ICPS. The NASC website will also have the details when EST and I are through. Stay tuned later this month for the Bog Garden of the Century!!!! The actual inventor, BTW, was Mike Ross of the BACPS. He gave it to me for a birthday, years ago, and I have used it constantly since. It works SOOO well. I plan on filling the new Bog with as many plants as I can, then disappear into oblivion!!!
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bugweed...sounds amazing! Can't wait to see it. I guess I need to see pics. Because I envision several bogs. I make bogs out of the Home Depot black cement mixing tubs. How would I make a reservoir for those? How do you get the water under the surface? I'm not a technical person at all...pardon all my questions. But I see how great your plants look. I don't have a big problem with rot, but one plant lost is one too many. I have now switched to the direct overhead, trayless watering system. It rains a lot here and is humid. They won't suffer any less from not sitting in standing water. But I've always been a big proponent of "the wetter the better". This comes from seeing Sarracenia in the wild so many times.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast