Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Circulating Bogs: How-to

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A home depot 60 GPH pump. Do not know the manufacturer. I am also going to try Lowe's. They have them down to 30GPH. Also, adjustable speed aquarium pumps will work. I have used them too. I am going to try a rheostat inline to control water speed to see what happens in this pot.
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

VFT and Drosera lover vft guy in SJ's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Steve, if you need an official photographer just let me know I promise I wont get you into more than a dozen shots or so.. hehehe
    There are only 2 infinite things... the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not too sure about the universe.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bugweed,

A rheostat will probably result in early motor death, most AC motors are not forgiving of voltage drops in excess of 10%, as RPM drops so does inductive reactance and counter EMF which can result in higher motor current and heat.
    In industry you would normally use an adjustable frequency drive for AC motor speed control and pulse width modulation for DC motor speed control

there may be DIY frequency drive plans out there somewhere, Ill look around.... DIY PWM is relatively easy and economical, but DIY frequency drives might be another matter

bypassing some of the pump output back to reservoir would be one option I would think, just don't ever restrict a pumps inlet, this can lead to cavitation and pump damage

also consider that the flow through the pump is what cools and lubricates the pump....

just recalled once seeing a diode used to give an ac motor a lower speed, this would block half the sine wave.... hmmmm still would reduce CEMF and Z, but would also reduce overall current and heat..... LOL need an EE

Cheers'
    Av

well, its not too bad... basic PWM circuit with low pass filter and a few other goodies to reshape the wave and step the voltage back up
    Last edited by Av8tor1; 03-16-2007 at 10:41 AM. Reason: add comment/url

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anybody still have the pics from the original post to rehost them?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    so this would just circulate the whole time and you wouldnt have to water the bog?

i thought about a similar setup consisting of a bin with a hole drilled out about 5-6 from the bottom with a bulkhead fitting installed and having it flow to a separate reservoir(~40 gallons) and having the water pumped back(maybe on timer depending) thru a soaker type hose placed just underneath the surface of the mix...would that be enough to not have to manually water them? the automation of the growing would be nice.

~b

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its my understanding that the circulating water keeps the water from becoming stagnant and also feeds a high amount of oxygen to the roots. However, not being mechanically inclined, I have not built one of these.
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So what type of media mix does everyone recommend for a circulating bog? Someone posted that perlite should be kept to a minimum so I must ask do I just mix like a 20/80 perlite/peat? I plan on mixing everything tomorrow. Also, my setup is going to pump in water at ~5" from the top of the bog and drain at the same level on the opposite side, both with ebb & flow type bulkheak fittings, any foreseeable problems with this? screens and sediment prefilters will be installed as well to prevent peat run-off.

im going to drive around and find a whiskey barrel half to install the pond liner into, it should work great, if im correct...

thanks,
    ~b

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by billylh View Post
    So what type of media mix does everyone recommend for a circulating bog? Someone posted that perlite should be kept to a minimum so I must ask do I just mix like a 20/80 perlite/peat?
    If perlite should be kept to a minimum, then how about zero percent perlite?
    thats the percentage I would use..
    I dont understand why anyone uses perlite for anything..totally unnecessary IMO.

Scot

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast