Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Circulating Bogs: How-to

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i was under the impression that it was a necessity for drainage purposes, guess not. also, should i top the minibog with lfs? i think thats the last of it before its complete, thanks.

~b

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree Scot. Perlite is not in nature. We tend to pamper our plants too much LOL.

My circ bog has a layer of gravel on the bottom to help with drainage the peat on stop is straight peat. I have some live LFS growing up there too because I like how it looks and the plants just grow up through it.
    JB
    Friend me on facebook with JB_orchidguy@yahoo.com.
    Growlist Updated 05/08/13

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well... it is natural but not in the way we think of and use it.

A great alternative is Schultz's Profile. It's heavier that perlite, but still very light. I recommend it; I'd never use pure peat for anything (circulating or otherwise!).

Wash the hell out of it if you decide to use it. It's very, very, very dusty.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why not Clint. I use pure peat for alot of things. What do you think are in peat bogs. LOL My sars are doing good and ith the layer of gravel on the bottom they do not have the over flow problem. I am thinking about not using peat for my Neps any more though. I am going to try to grow hydroponicaly soon. I think it would work great and I wouldn't need to water. Have the pump on a timer around the clock. Good arration in the water and the plants will stay constantly watered every 20 to 30 min or so the pump will come on with fresh oxygenated water for 30 to 45 min then let the cycle continue like that with rockwool as the substraight or maybe primeagra or something like that. Going to try on a ventrata cutting when i get up to MN. That way I can automat my entire growroom LOL
    JB
    Friend me on facebook with JB_orchidguy@yahoo.com.
    Growlist Updated 05/08/13

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    great I have a setup that sounds similiar to what is being described for my darlingtonia,here are some pics.
    http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r...8/DSCF2080.jpg

after reading that plants grow more robust and healthier and that soil lasts longer and you get more divisions I might try doing this I have a irrigation kit that I could use and I could stick a nozzle in each of my sarracenia and flytrap pots but it would be a nightmare to elevate 20 or so plants out of the water reservoir.
    Do you think the water will still circulate if I had the plants sitting in the water reservoir?
    view my growlist
    http://grwlist.notlong.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh I am also wondering about placing a thin layer of LFS moss in the bottom of the pots to prevent media from being washed out of the drainage holes in the pot which could get in the water reservoir and possibly ruin your pump.
    Anybody else try this?
    view my growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    dm, this is basically what i have on mine for both the inlet and drain, the plastic little screw on screen really helps with bigger pieces of debris but i did pile a good bit of perlite around it just to make sure it caught smaller pieces.

http://www.plantlightinghydroponics....2_475_477.html

oh, and they have addon pieces that will allow you to adjust the height of the drain and inlet.

~b
    Last edited by billylh; 03-23-2008 at 09:59 PM. Reason: doh

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks billy, I might try to find a simpler way to try this method but use it large scale I want to own a nursery someday and if this helps plants grow more robust then so be it.
    thats why I am going to try this with a four foot under the bed storage container I need to develop someway to elevate each pot out of the water maybe some pvc pipes and eggcrate.
    view my growlist