Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Acceptable Lighting?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I might just try to make it to Home Depot before it closes. That way i can get the substrate that i need as well as the light fixture. I'm sure they sell compact fluorescent bulbs there too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have one, but try to get the 75 watt as it is smaller and produces less heat.

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your windowsill might have better lighting than this reflect/light combo.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why not just grow it outside? They are not indoor plants. I tried to grow one in a 10gallon and I almost killed. After yelled at by Bugweed I put it outside and then the chipmonk killed it. Just wait until I get that chipmonk. It's going to my snake when I do.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nooo chipmunks are adorable!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    *UPDATE*

Ok, so i made it to HD last night and found a cheap light fixture- about $6 and also found a compact flourescent bulb (soft white) for it- about $5. It usage is 23 watts=100 incandescent watts with an output of 1600 lumens. I tried looking for some peat moss or perlite but couldn't seem to find any in the outdoor gardening section (too cold to take a good real look), no worries though. I will just leave my vft in the original pot.

One thing that confused me though: there were 3 different types of the same bulb that i bought- soft white, strong, and sun. I percieved that the strong and sun type bulbs would produce a better output of light, but on the packaging it says that the lumens are less then the soft white type. Its also more expensive. Why's this? They were all the same wattage.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Look for the daylight. Or if it doesn't say that, just look for something around 6500K or similar.

The higher the Kelvin, the more blue (this does not mean it will look blue) and the lower the less blue and more red/yellow (this DOES mean it will look yellow and ugly)

The nicer a light is the more you'll pay for it A crisp white is prettier than a dull yellow. Sounds to me like the "sun" is what you probably want, given the info you've presented.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is what I have. I am using 75 watt with a 20 watt flourescent light. Be careful not to put directly on your plants or you will cook them. I almost steamed my ceph.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast