Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Acceptable Lighting?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Acceptable Lighting?

Hi everyone. I've been reading alot on this site and i have to say i'm very impressed on the amount of imformation available. I just ordered a couple of vfts on **********.com and eagerly awaiting the delivery. Until then, i'm preparing a nice terrarium for them and need to know if this light is acceptable or not.

http://www.petco.com/Shop/petco_Prod...lers2-_-796050

My real concern is that it will emit too much heat....

It's rated 150 watts- more then the recommended 80

i'm going to petco in a little so yea....

Is it possible that they also sell Peat/moss there too?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    likely not peat moss, but lights are to be watched because of the heat factor. Give it a try, but there is a LOT about lighting indoors that can be found here. If I were you, I would seek out this information here before making a suggestion.
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm fairly new to cps my own self, but I'd say that looks good if it's a pretty small terrarium and you plan on using a compact fluorescent bulb. I'd advise against incandescent bulbs, as they tend to cook plants. I know there are a number of threads concerning the topic of which compact fluorescents are best on this forum; just do a search.

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're going to put Compact Fluorecent lights in those fixtures I don't see it as a problem.

Pet shops some times sell decorative mosses and other plants for terrariums but unless you know exactly what you are buying I'd avoid anything that may be labeled Sphagnum.

You're best bet is an orchid nursery and supply.

You can find peat and sphagnum moss at garden centers and nurseries, but make sure there is no fertilizer added and that it is Sphagnum.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Doing it wrong until I do it right. xvart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum. That light will produce a lot of heat which could easily damage your vft. I would not use it. Where do you live? You might be able to grow it outside with much better results. If you must grow it inside I would recommend some sort of flourescent lights.

xvart.
    "The tragedy of life is not that every man loses; but that he almost wins."

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks. I know that flourescent bulbs are better as they emit practically no heat at all. As for the terrarium, its going to be a 5 gallon glass tank so it should suffice correct?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I live in NYC

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some cheapo aluminum clamp-ons that you can get at a hardwares store might be cheaper. The fixtures you showed are probably designed to reflect more of the heat than a cheap aluminum ones would. But it probably won't be that much of a problem, just make sure the clamps and joints are strong enough to support the extra weight of the CF lamps and that you leave enough of a gap on your cover to allow air circulation.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast