Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Greenhouse pictures.

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lol, it reminds me of an episode of Strangers With Candy where the theme of the show was racism and the evil stepmother says something along the lines of "Cut back that wandering jew! It's taking over!" lmao

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Leopard I jsut checked my Regia when I was taking some new pictures and it is planted in straight peat with a top dressing of live LFS.

Dave I dunno why you wandering jew died. Maybe you were keeping it too wet? I have killed spider plants that way. Other than that they just grow and grow. Xvart is right I had some break off on my porch and get swept into the azealia pushes growing around my porch and they started growing. I find them to be weeds. You also need to restart them by returning everything you cut off back into the pots. I have an older pot that I noticed looking pretty bad. It is called a wandering jew for a reason. Not a spreading jew. So the old stuff dies off while the new stuff continues to wander. So I have noticed that the older vines look worse than new vines. It grows fast enough that you can just keep putting in new stuff from its "hair cutts" to keep it looking good.

I have the green form now. Just got it from my sister. I need to nurse it back to health, but that shouldn;t be a problem. She kept it too dry. LMAO

AV yes they are the ice cube style. I only needed double pole single throw, but all they had was double pole double throw relays. Thats cool I will nonly be using one side of it anyway. I will probably be revamping everything this summer. These were prototypes and so far so good.

What are plc controls AV??
    JB
    Friend me on facebook with JB_orchidguy@yahoo.com.
    Growlist Updated 05/08/13

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "programmable logic controller" a dedicated processor used by industry to do things exactly like you are doing... and way beyond.

allows you to use ladder logic to control operations based upon inputs/timers/sequences/etc you name it...

there are some pretty inexpensive units, but allen bradley (owie) is the industry standard in the USA

an old, used allan bradley model "slick 100" would be perfect for ya

Av

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Program...gic_controller
    Last edited by Av8tor1; 02-06-2007 at 07:32 PM. Reason: add url

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ahhh Well These controlers were built with spare parts my grandfather had and he spent a little on the GE outdoor plastic box and breakers. So I would assume the parts were not to expencive. The PLC does seem interesting, but more pricey. Definately something to think about when I get my larger GH. Because from what I read I can connect multiple temp probes to it and have heaters come on in sections depending on the area that is cool. he he he Also hydrometers can be connected and other things. You have planted a bug in my head now. Thanks AV!!
    JB

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well when you get to that point, just hollar.... ill point ya in the right direction and write the ladder logic for ya... or have my students do it LOL

"now class.... today we have a special project..... )

one plc can control you whole operation, including emergency backup systems, alarms for low temp, high temp, low water, high water etc etc etc

competely flexible

Av

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WOW!! I had no clue. That would be great! Since I plan on having a rain water tank and all that jazz when I finaly get out of nursing school. I will definately have to keep that in mind, and give your class a special project. Since I plan on having multiple systems, with multiple things needing automated. When the time comes I will order the system you recomend and let your class do the programming. Good hands on if I do say so. Thanks for the offer!!

What do you teach? Sounds liek an interesting class to take just to know the material. I am always interesting in electronics and things. I just wouldn;t want to do it for a living I don't think. I would much rather be operating on someone or growing my plants. I hope to be a good sized nursery 5 or 6 years after I get finished with nursing school then I can do that for a living instead.
    JB

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    for the last few years I have taught mainly fluid power classes, I left industry about 8 yrs ago to teach.... a long time love of mine, the money bites but I do love it

sometimes I dont know when to stop being a teacher LOL

Av

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Teach away AV teach away!! I hope your still teaching by the time I need my PLC setup. If your not teaching formerly I would love to be a student so I can set it up myself. It is just going to be a few years before I am ready to make that leap though. Nursing school starts in August so from then on it will be 2 years before I have much time for myself!. LOL
    JB

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast