Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ebook says ditch the terrariums...opinions please

I've got a magic window! elgecko's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I find that Neps are a lot tougher then they are given credit for.
    When I was first reading about them and the high humidity requirements they need, I thought I would never be able to keep one outside a terrarium.
    Since neps can get large I could not confine the plant into a terrarium. So I started to experiment with growing them as windowsill plants and have had great success with several neps this way.
    It seems that they take around 3 months to really settle and then start pitchering.
    I do not mist my plants.

Winter humidity: 30 - 50% (Lower humidity in the day. I have the humidifier on my furnace set to around 45%. Furnace does not run much, sun shines in the room where I grow the plants and heats the area up.)

Winter / Fall temps: I keep the house cool. Heat set to 64 degrees. (Humidified air feels warmer then dry air) During the day it can hit mid 70's with the sun shinning in the room where I grow the neps. Nights can drop to low 60's.

Spring / Summer / Fall humidity: 30 - high 80%. (Windows open and such)

Spring / Summer temps: During the day it can hit mid 80's. Night to the low 70's. (I usually have the A/C set around 74)

Here are some pics:
    I find that Neps are a lot tougher then they are given credit for.
    When I was first reading about them and the high humidity requirements they need, I thought I would never be able to keep one outside a terrarium.
    Since neps can get large I could not confine the plant into a terrarium. So I started to experiment with growing them as windowsill plants and have had great success with several neps this way.
    It seems that they take around 3 months to really settle and then start pitchering.

Winter humidity: 30 - 50% (Lower humidity in the day. I have the humidifier on my furnace set to around 45%. Furnace does not run much, sun shines in the room where I grow the plants and heats the area up.)

Winter / Fall temps: I keep the house cool. Heat set to 64 degrees. (Humidified air feels warmer then dry air) During the day it can hit mid 70's with the sun shinning in the room where I grow the neps. Nights can drop to low 60's.

Spring / Summer / Fall humidity: 30 - high 80%. (Windows open and such)

Spring / Summer temps: During the day it can hit mid 80's. Night to the low 70's. (I usually have the A/C set around 74)

Here are some pics:

My Grow List Updated 8/24/17

Doing it wrong until I do it right. xvart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love the hamata setup. How do you water it without water running all over the floor?

xvart.

edit: wow! I count eight pitchers on your hamata! Is that all from one plant?
    "The tragedy of life is not that every man loses; but that he almost wins."

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nice elgecko! did you cut back your hamata? it used to have a vine on it. i grow mine in terrariums only bacause i have no other place in my house that gets light. come april im getting one of those shelves and getting lights for that and putting almost all of my plants on it.
    Alex
    Everything is explainable. The seemingly unexplainable is but a result of our insufficient knowledge.- Hans Brewer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xvart View Post
    I love the hamata setup. How do you water it without water running all over the floor?

xvart.

edit: wow! I count eight pitchers on your hamata! Is that all from one plant?
    I've always wondered the same thing Elgecko. How do you water those hanging baskets without getting drainage all over your floor?

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've seen him water the Neps when I visited him. Yeah, the water goes through a litle bit, but doesn't create a big mess. Ya just don't pour a lot of water in the basket. One could always put something under the baskets to catch the excess water or buy a planter, which has the tray attached.

Humidity in his kitchen was reading 37% and his plants thrive!

Terrariums are basically a human, aesthetic thing. Nature has its plants exposed to the air and wind a rainfall isn't as consisitent as we are.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One thing I'd like to say about terrariums is that you can put reflective (white in my case) backing on three sides increasing the amount of light.
    Also protects the plants.
    And Heli's like alotta humidity but I don't really get much humidity outta my tank anyway.
    Ah, it just looks nice and designates that as "the plant area"

I've got a magic window! elgecko's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    xvart,
    As Jim stated, I'm very careful about how much water I use so that I do not have it run out all over the place. In the summer I will take them outside from time to time to water them and till I have a stream running out the basket. Let it stop dripping and back inside they go.
    Basically there is 3 plants in there. The main vine which has been cut down does not have any pitchers on it, and currently does not have a growth point. Then there are 2 basal shoots which are the ones producing the pitchers.

glider14,
    Yep. Twice.

LLeopardGGecko,
    As I stated above. Very carefully. You learn how much you can water them before you get some dripping out the bottom.

My Grow List Updated 8/24/17

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12