What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Terrarium construction!

It looks really good but are you sure that's enough light? It looks so dark.

It looks dark as i dialed down the exposure on my camera so that you could see inside. There is about 150 watts of high output T-5 flourescents which should be enough for the plants i've planted.
The higher light plants are planted near the top.
I probably won't have enough light though to grow most CP's, that's why you see mostly tropical miniatures and orchids.
Peter.

Oh T-5's are the bomb man :) Are you using Tek-Lights? (After re-reading this, you might be a nerd if you get excited about flourescent lighting!)

D. adelae would do well on the bottom if you add a little sphagnum on top of the clay pellets.

They are the cheaper New Wave t-5. I didn't really need the super slim fixtures.
Funny you should mention d. adelae, as i will probably put that and maybe a d. schizandra on the bottom.
My plan is to cover the hydroton pellets with NZ sphagnum, then some live stuff as well!
Peter.

That would be cool to see the NZ sphag on their with some Drosera in their!

Large Terrarium construction--update #4, 4-22-07

For those of you following my terrarium construction, here is basically the last phase. I've completed most of the planting (i think!).
I still have some flexibility to change out some of the plants.

I have about 3 pings in the terrarium, attached vertically to the wall!

Here is the link:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/minicatt/sets/72157600108953903/detail/

Peter.

Awesome! You should cover the clay pebbles with Hemianthus callitrichoides for a nice carpet of TINY green leaves!

Jlap, i just started with some live bright green sphagnum moss on top of the pebbles. I think it will do great since the pebbles are quite moist from the water pool.
Peter.

Very nice pingman! That is exactly what I hope mine loks like when I am done. Going with the old Black jungle terrium vibe there. I just have to get started working on mine! Nice work!

Back