Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Question about setup/plants

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    there's one part of your first post that makes me a little concerned. you said "lowish light levels". Carnivores as a general rule need LOTS of light. A lot of us who grow plants in terraria find ourselves constantly trying to increase the amount of light our plants get. Just something to keep in mind.

also...maintaining a terrarium can be a real pain in the butt. they're tough to keep clean and you'll find yourself shelling out tons of cash for lighting, air circulation, etc. Are you sure you're up for such a project? there are a bunch of carnivores that can be easily grown without a terrarium.

If you're still dead-set on a terrarium...my first terrarium-dweller was a Nepenthes rafflesiana. It did pretty well, though I found out early on that it needed quite a bit of light to make pitchers. A lowland Nepenthes such as this might fit in pretty well with what you're describing, though keep in mind they can get big. Also, if you're interested in Pinguicula, maybe P. primuliflora? I'm hesitant to recommend it, since I've never had any luck growing them, but they're fairly easy to find and might do well in a terrarium.

for your VFT: once the weather warms up, with maybe an occasional dip below freezing at night, stick it outside in the sunniest spot you can.
    -Emily

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Annoying isn't the word! Had some pitcher plants? DIDN'T LIKE THEM VERY MUCH You trying not to make friends around here? If you don't like pitcher plants, maybe you should view the pitcher plant forums and look at some pics of various pitcher plant color variants and species. Learn a new appreciation maybe. Don't like pitcher plants!!! HMMMPFFF!!
    Mumble! Grumble! Complain! Groan!
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    *pats Bugweed* it's okay...He (she?) will learn!
    -Emily

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lol! at increasing light levels....just today I was planning on buying a third table light for adding to my terrarium...and this is just a 10 gallon terrarium....trust me.....CP's LOVE light.....and vfts as the veterans here say are "SUN WORSHiPPERS" . If you have the facility to grow them outside...I would say do it.....you would hardly have to care except for watering them and they will take off really happily. With a terrarium that I currently have...there are sooo many things of concern!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't mean I hated them or anything, just would rather have something like a nepenthes or VFT, maybe a butterwort too. My only concern with growing them outside year round is that it gets in the negatives (this year the lowest it got was -30 or lower with wind chills, I don't know if that effects them that much though, and -15 or so without wind). I currently have a single foot long or so flourescent bulb, and keep the tank in the window. I know that's not what you're supposed to do, so I am currently trying to find another way to add one or two more light bulbs to it, which may include getting another tank (which I'd be fine with since I have TONS of ten gallon tanks and my dad isn't going to be using his old fish tank light anymore which holds a couple of lights and is about the same lenght as a twenty gallon).

PS: I thought VFTs were supposed to be the easiest ones to grow. Or is that just assuming you're growing them somewhere warm?

PS#2: How much does it normally cost to ship a small, potted carnivorous plant?

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The easiest way to add lighting is to get some compact fluorescent bulbs and some utility clamp on light fixtures (standard screw in lightbulb socket)- find the highest wattage CF bulbs you can that don't exceed the wattage rating of the fixture. Most CF bulbs will tout two wattage ratings - one is how much power it consumes and the second (larger) number is what the light output is roughly equivalent to in a normal incandescent bulb. Compare the lower number to the rating on the fixture.

This will get you a lot of light quickly and relatively inexpensively.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, but are they as good as the long tubes? I know a lot of people use those but is that just because they are thinner, don't take up as much space and give more light equally or something?

PS: since I've taken my VFT home from the plant store almost 2 weeks ago, where it was on the bottom shelf, it's started growing another flower stalk (which I cut off), and sprouted a few more leaves. Although this is probably normal for plants that think it's spring it's exciting for me.

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those little CF bulbs have a lot of restrike.. and well, to me they suck. I like power compacts (not the same as compact fluorescent).

I you have the space, go to homedepot and get a shoplight that takes 4 tubes.

Priority mail costs about 5 bucks give or take.

Grow them outside for the spring and summer and when it's dormancy time, pop them in the fridge. Don't use a terrarium unless you can't put it outside for some reason.

You originally wanted to know what plants would do well in a small terrarium with low light and I say D. adelae and terrestrial utricularia. As long as we aren't talking a cave here. More light is always better.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast