Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Question about setup/plants

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have one more question; how long does it normally take VFTs to bloom? Mine has been looking like it is about to for more than 3 days now, and hasn't really made much progress as far as opening.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Angry

Never mind, I feel like such an idiot. I cut off the other one that it sent up not realising that you need both of them to produce seed. I guess I may as well let it bloom, would it really be wasting that much effort? Or maybe I just read something too fast.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WOOHOOO. My plant is finally listed as SHIPPED instead of the annoying PENDING.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Woohoo, I just got a sarrecania and two drosera. How do you stop the moss from taking over? Just rip it out or something?

Doing it wrong until I do it right. xvart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I grow most all of my plants under 4' shop lights that I got at home depot. They were like 15 bucks or something like that. I actually have 4 lights. All of my plants are doing fine. This is definately the best bang for your buck.

Quote Originally Posted by abcat1993 View Post
    Never mind, I feel like such an idiot. I cut off the other one that it sent up not realising that you need both of them to produce seed. I guess I may as well let it bloom, would it really be wasting that much effort? Or maybe I just read something too fast.
    I don't think it needs two flowers to polinate. Also, I would consider cutting the other flower stalk off of your venus fly trap, since it consumes a lot of energy and if you are concerned about not giving it enough light yet then it will be looking for more energy to keep living.

Quote Originally Posted by abcat1993 View Post
    Woohoo, I just got a sarrecania and two drosera. How do you stop the moss from taking over? Just rip it out or something?
    What moss are you talking about? I wouldn't worry about the sarrs, they will do fine with the moss if it is LFS. Depending on the size of the drosera, you should be fine. If they are really small the moss might overtake it, but I doubt it.

xvart.
    "The tragedy of life is not that every man loses; but that he almost wins."

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, it might have been for Nepenthes but I read something where there was a "male" flower and a "female" flower. The other flower stalk is about 8 inches tall but the tips of the flowers are turning brown. I'm guessing that's bad.
    For the moss, I will get a picture but I think it is sphagnum. There is also some thicker kind in one of the drosera's pots.
    One more question: How do you stop those pots they come in from leaking all the water out of the sarracenia? I tried saran wrap but that didn't work too well.

Doing it wrong until I do it right. xvart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Neps have male and female flowers. Venus fly traps do not. For your information, each nep is either male or female and will not produce both a male flower and a female flower. I believe it is female flowers that are more rare (maybe 3:1).

As for the water leaking out of your pot: plants like sarrs, sundews, and vft's like water. Most people who grow them in pots have a tray or a bowl underneath these plants and fill the bowl with water which allows the plant to sit with the bottom in the water. This allows the soil to be constantly damp (like in their native bogs). Then they just fill this bowl when it starts to get low or go dry.

xvart.

edit: forgot to mention that the plants seem to enjoy being water from the top as well sometimes to circulate oxygen in the soil.
    "The tragedy of life is not that every man loses; but that he almost wins."

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, I meant to keep it flooded. Bugweed said that he keeps his in a constant bath of water.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast