Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Question about setup/plants

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question about setup/plants

Hi, I'm a noob at this plant stuff, but I am planning on making my own terrarium for my carnivorous plants. Currently all I have is a Venus Fly Trap, but I've had nepenthes also (I didn't take good care of them and they only lived 2 years). Now for my question, what carnivorous plants are easy to grow in a relatively small aquarium (bowfront 5-10 gallon, I really don't know what it is, neither does my dad) and lowish light levels, that you don't have to make go dormant (is there a better word for that, like hibernate or something?). By the way, the humidity in my room is normally greater than 50% and lower than 70% (right now it is at 72%, wich is the highest it's ever been), but I don't know about how it will be in the summer. And the temperature is usually mid 60's to low 70's (F).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess I wouldn't really mind if I could just stick the entire tank in the fridge or something though. But, still I would prefer not to.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It would actually be better if you just grew your plants outside in full sunlight.

where do you live? Because most of the CPs that people will recommend as begginer plants would grow almost perfectly outside in the US year round, and much better than inside of a terrarium. However other plants that enjoy really high humidity such as nepenthes Cephalotus, and heliamphora might need to be grown in a terrarium or a greenhouse.
    If you are to do a terrarium I would highly recommend potting your plants sepparately for easy access, washing of the terrarium if needed and movement of plants if needed or wanted.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I live in northern Illinois (about 30 miles north of the border of Chicago, and less than 40 miles from Wisconsin's border). The only time it is hot enough and humid enough to grow these is in the middle of summer (July, maybe August or June).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    dont put anything that needs dormancy in a terrarium (vft)

outside is fine, humidity doesn't really matter

vfts can take a huge range of temps, pasian highland truncata can also

someone else will come in with a more detailed response im sure
    Z polski y dumny
    Prayer - how to do nothing and still think you're helping.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F5aCUNE4Z8
    ^^^Newest vid

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I mostly just want a terrarium for it's looks (and the carnivorous plants). Growing the VFTs outside might work after all. When do most people put theirs outside that live in the Northern states?.
    BTW, how much does it normally cost to ship plants? I was interested in butterworts and some nepenthes, maybe sundews, but probably not pitcher plants (I had some once but didn't really like them that much).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would think that they keep them out all year.
    In the winter though if it does get really cold I would cover the plants and pots with snow to help prevent wind burn.
    For you I would put your temperate plants outside in mid spring right when the temps start warming up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry I'm being kind of annoying about this, but I have seen some really nice terarriums with TONS of carnivorous plants and pets. I wouldn't put pets in mine (not yet anyway), but I would like to try to go for at least a tenth of how good most of them are.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast