What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

mosquitoes

growergray

Just a guy
I'm not sure what forum this belongs in(I didn't see a "potted plants in water tray" forum), so if it needs to be moved...

Anyway, I'm wondering what the best way to cope with mosquitoes is. I have a few water trays and we get tons of mosquitoes here if we're not really careful. Are mosquito dunks the way to go? What method do y'all use(those of you that have to deal with mosquitoes). Unfortunately, letting them lay eggs and hatch for CP food really isn't an option.

Any help is muchly appreciated!

What's a mosquito dunk? Just change the water out every now and then. I don't suggest using chemicals.

I let the mosquito larvae live because once they fly out of the water a lot get captured anyway.

from what I've read Azolla caroliniana seems like it would be the trick, helps prevent the Mosquitoes and provides low levels of nitrogen for your plants...

JB_Orchidguy mentioned he uses it in his greenhouse and after looking into it I think I'm going to give it a try

he would probably be a good source of further info on the subject

Av

Robyn's Mosquito Page

Last edited:
Unless you have a huge water tray set up, a piece of mo-dunk would be enough.

I use mosquito dunks in the summer, and I also grow aquatic Utricularia in my trays. I still get some mosquitos, but not enough to be a real bother.
~Joe

A mosquito dunk is (I believe) a small ring or pellet of...well, I'm not sure what it's made of, but if I understand correctly, it releases a mosquito un-friendly bacteria into the water, killing the larvae. Not supposed to be bad for the plants.

Back