Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: wanting to make a outdoor mini bog

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That spot looks kind of shady. What kind of sunlight does it get? As for kiddie pools, I hear they can work very well, but it's probably advisable to protect them from direct sunlight to make them last longer - dig a hole and sink them into the ground or something.
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sunlight is of the utmost importance for Sarracenia!

aqua teen hunger force assemble!! disco's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well i took that pic this afternoon at around 4:30 it gets plenty of sun its the south end of my house i figured it gets probably 50% full sun in the am and the rest of the day is partly shady. i was gonna put a drainage pipe in the mix for if it rains hard or we get alot of rain so it doesn't flood. and i am not gonna go with seed growing in it to start off with. there is a really good nursery i found in my city that has mature CP's in the summer. i figure mature plants would do better to start off and see if it will even work. i am hoping that when this is all done i will have a kick butt garden lol. if i can keep the neighbors kids out (and my own child out) of the garden wish me luck yall! and i promise i will keep yall updated if you want me to taking pics along the way till CP day!! any other tips would be much appreciated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

cost question

in looking at your quest here is a dollars and sense approach.
    a pool liner which is probably the best material you can get-it will last long and is resistent to root penetration for the size you are mentioning may run around $100 or $125 (I am guesstimating)
    2 of those larger (not the smaller ones of Steves) run around $20

the number of square feet would be the same or almost.

aqua teen hunger force assemble!! disco's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    money is not exactly a problem. i was actually guessing it would be more than just a $100 or so i was planning on having a pre-set budget so i don't over spend but the amount i had in mind was prolly gonna be in $300 area. the reason i say that is cause i have to buy every single material including the plants, and the nursery that has them is not exactly cheap either but they do grow them in their greenhouses. they have 12 greenhouses i believe and sell all kinds of plants anything you could think of they have. everything there is so pricy tho! a jfk rose bush was like $30 thanks for your help tho i really do appreciate it!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my experience, a pond liner is the way to go. I once used plastic sheeting in my old bog garden and it leaks easily. It will become more important to hold water when the summer months come.

If you're just doing a "mini bog," consider buying a very large rubbermaid container. They are cheap, but you'll probably have to replace it within two years as they easily deform from all the pressure from the bog soil.

My bog has been around for about 6 years. The pond liner is virtually indestructible.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12