User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Highland and Lowland neps in same tank?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ok... so 'fess up... do you keep your lows in a tank? If so, how do you heat 'em? what are the day and night temps?

throw me a friggin bone people (use the dr evil voice for that last sentence)

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't know it was a secret? Yes I keep all my my lowlanders in a terrarium. I have a titanium heater in that cuts on in case it gets below 80 degrees. It's lit by a 250 watt metal halide, umm.. 5,200K I think. Maybe 5,500K. The average day temp is in the low 90's. Night time is... I dunno, never looked but I'd say mid 80's. Humidity is about 95%. There is a circulating fan in the terrarium.

It's a bit cool today.

Any questions, just ask me. It looks barren but I'm getting more now that I have spring fever. It's only 75 gallons so I'm constantly trading away big ones and replacing them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    JLAP how do you get the humidity so high? is it just with the heater? Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The heater is hardly ever on because it only comes on in case the temp goes below 80 degrees. Like... in the middle of winter at night when the central heat is cut down.

My secret is that I cover it up lol. I just took the acrylic off the top so the fog would go away and I could take pictures lol.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you cover it up all the way up? lol im always afraid of covering it up because of fungus.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not an airtight and there are some small gaps where the light warped the acrylic (which I need to replace).

A small fan for circulation and good lighting will go a long way against the war on fungi. I'm not striving for that level of humidity, I'd be perfectly happy with 80%. It just happens to always be a steam room in there thanks to the MH. I love MH. I don't know how I survived without it. Definately worth the money.

Ummm.... Oh yeah be sure to keep your water clean. I've got translucent worms that live from the water surface up to 1/2 inch above the surface, Daphnia, springtails, and another creepy crawly. It's totally desgusting. I need to be cleaner but the plants don't care.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ooo sweet i guess ill start covering it up, Thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, "only" seventy-five gallons huh?
    Try using a 5 gal for a while

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast