Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Weather and Bogs

Ryan + Sara
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've heard it can .. especially in a newly established bog.
    Still haven't gotten around to taking some pics of the bog yet .. having a minor problem with it. For a couple of days now, I haven't been able to maintain the water level. Turns out it's because I have a leak in my drain (does that make sense?, lol). It's a drain that's only supposed to drain when I want it to

So.. I was facing possibly digging up my bog again, but I decided to dig a hole thru the side of the bog to get to the drain location from behind. Does anybody have any experience using silicone to seal a drain in a 3' x 5' x 20" bog? I hope the first time around, I simply missed a spot (The silicone is used for terrariums/aquariums, but seems to have a limit as to what it can hold). I know of one other option that should be safe for the plants, but it's more expensive (black waterfalll foam ... sold at some landscape supply places ... use it to seal rocks/plastic in the pond).

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cp,

IMHO, if the silicone is going to be in a compression loading (such as aquariums) then it will do great in your application for years, if it will be under a tension (pull or push apart) loading it probably will fail rather quickly, in either case I would scuff the surface and make sure it is good and clean prior to application

can't you use a bulkhead fitting?

cheers'
    Av

(for reference, static head pressure is 1psi per 2.31 ft of water depth, depth not volume is the key factor)

Ryan + Sara
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I decided to go with ol' faithful .. black waterfall foam (easily bonds to the smooth plastic liner and can even be used in wet conditions).
    Compared to silicone, the foam is quite superior (same fish/plant safe properties as silicone). It does cost about $15-25 per can whereas silicone is like $4, but foam dries in 30 minutes - silicone in 24 hours. Foam also expands in cracks and is flexible once dry (holds tension good).
    I probably coulda used a bulkhead fitting, but the drain was a last minute decision with not enough preparation.
    All fixed up now though

Will go get some pictures now that everything's replanted.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12